1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase difference question

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have read that the phase difference between two sinusoidal signals is calculated as follows:

$$\theta = \omega \Delta T = \frac{2 \pi}{T} \Delta T$$

Where ##\Delta T## is the time difference. This formula confuses me as it was derived from nowhere.

I am asked to compute the phase difference between the two waveforms shown:

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 4.18.47 PM.png

Also how much does wave 1 lead wave 2?

2. Relevant equations

$$f = \frac{1}{T}$$
    $$\omega = 2 \pi f$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused with the question itself. I know I am merely looking for the phase difference ##|\theta_1 - \theta_2|## between the waves.

Wave 1 appears to be a plain old sin wave (##v_1 = 1*sin(\omega t)##). Wave 2 is lagging behind wave 1 (##v_2 = 2*sin(\omega t + \phi)##).

Is that the right approach? Or do I read the periods of each wave off?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

The phase is relative to the wave period ##T##, so you need to figure out both ##T## and ##\Delta T## (as you can see from the equation you posted).

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

##T## is what confused me as there are two different periods for each wave. Here's what I have so far:

IMG_0387.jpg

5. Oct 1, 2014 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Sorry for the double, but I think I realized something. Is the period of both waves and not just one roughly 6.25? The time difference would be roughly 0.15.

6. Oct 1, 2014 #5

olivermsun

Science Advisor

Look closely — I think both waves have the same period ##T##.

7. Oct 1, 2014 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The formula you wondered about comes about from considering ##T## to be the period and ##\Delta T## to be a portion of ##T##. That means ##\Delta T / T## is the fraction of a full cycle of ##2 \pi## radians. So then:
    $$\phi = \frac{\Delta T}{T} 2 \pi$$

As near as I can tell both waves have the same period.

One way to do this sort of problem is to identify similar zero-crossing points and use them for the instants of time that you'll be considering. By "similar" I mean where both waves are crossing the zero level in the same direction. Here's your picture with three such crossing points indicated. I've also laid a "ruler" along the zero V axis for convenience.

waves.png

Note that two time differences are indicated, ##T_a## and ##T_b##. One of them is smaller than the other. You generally want to take the smaller one because it will will yield a phase difference less than 180°. But it may make you re-evaluate whether wave 2 is leading or lagging wave 1!

If you are required to consider that wave 1 leads wave 2, then you'll have to live with the larger angular difference in this case.

8. Oct 1, 2014 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Cool, I now get:

##\theta = \frac{2 \pi}{T} \Delta T = \frac{2 \pi}{6.25} (0.15) = 0.151 rad##

9. Oct 1, 2014 #8

gneill

I don't see where you're getting the 0.15 second value for ##\Delta T##.

10. Oct 1, 2014 #9

Zondrina

Homework Helper

##\Delta T## was not explained. It was only mentioned as the time difference once.

I think that it's the difference between the peaks? So ##\Delta T = 4##.

Then ##\theta = 4.02 rad##.

11. Oct 1, 2014 #10

gneill

It's the difference between any two equivalent points on the waveforms. Peaks are an example. But I find zero crossings can be determined more accurately. That's why I pointed out three choice ones on the figure.

12. Oct 1, 2014 #11

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes I liked your method as well, it actually helped me realize that it was really the difference between two equivalent points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted