Calculate Phase Difference for Single-Slit Diffraction

In summary, when calculating the first three values of phi for single slit diffraction, you use the phasor model and set \frac{dI}{d\phi} = 0. The first solution to the equation is found by using the described method and calculating tan(\frac{\phi}{2}) = \frac{\phi}{2}. The third value found is 2 pi which is a minima.
Math Jeans

Homework Statement

For single-slit diffraction, calculate the first three values of [tex]\phi[/tex] (the total phase difference betweenrays from each edge of the slit) that produce subsidiary maximu by

a) using the phasor model

b) setting [tex]\frac{dI}{d\phi} = 0[/tex], where I is given by [tex]I = I_0 \cdot (\frac{sin(\frac{1}{2} \cdot \phi)}{\frac{1}{2} \cdot \phi})^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

given

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to do part b first as I already knew the answers from part a (fairly straight forward) and was using them to check my answer.

I realized that even though I had used the exact described method, my answer was completely different as my values for phi ended up as:

1) [tex]\pi[/tex]
2) The first non-zero solution to [tex]tan(\frac{\phi}{2}) = \frac{\phi}{2}[/tex]
3) [tex]2 \cdot \pi[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for the intensity with single slit diffraction is

[tex] \frac { \frac {\pi d} {\lambda} sin(\phi) } { \frac {\pi d} {\lambda} } [/tex]

your equation is produced if [itex] d = \frac {\lambda} { 2 \pi} [/itex]. d is obviously too small here to get destructive interference at any angle. For the light to go through the slit and reach the screen you need [itex] \frac {- \pi} {2} < \phi < \frac {\pi} { 2 } [/itex]

Err. The equation for the intensity is given in the problem and d is not involved.

Math Jeans said:

Homework Statement

For single-slit diffraction, calculate the first three values of [tex]\phi[/tex] (the total phase difference betweenrays from each edge of the slit) that produce subsidiary maximu by

a) using the phasor model

b) setting [tex]\frac{dI}{d\phi} = 0[/tex], where I is given by [tex]I = I_0 \cdot (\frac{sin(\frac{1}{2} \cdot \phi)}{\frac{1}{2} \cdot \phi})^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

given

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to do part b first as I already knew the answers from part a (fairly straight forward) and was using them to check my answer.

I realized that even though I had used the exact described method, my answer was completely different as my values for phi ended up as:

1) [tex]\pi[/tex]
2) The first non-zero solution to [tex]tan(\frac{\phi}{2}) = \frac{\phi}{2}[/tex]
3) [tex]2 \cdot \pi[/tex]

Hi Math Jeans,

When you take the derivative and set it to zero, you find the minima and maxima. The third values you found (2 pi) is a minima (it makes [itex]I[/itex] to be zero); the maxima are found by using your expression [tex]tan(\frac{\phi}{2}) = \frac{\phi}{2}[/tex] and finding the first three non-zero solutions.

I did not see how you got the first answer (pi); I don't believe it makes the derivative zero. If you still get it as an answer would you post your expression for the derivative?

1. How do I calculate the phase difference for single-slit diffraction?

The phase difference for single-slit diffraction can be calculated using the equation Δϕ = 2πd*sin(θ)/λ, where d is the width of the slit, θ is the angle of diffraction, and λ is the wavelength of the incident light.

2. What is the significance of phase difference in single-slit diffraction?

Phase difference is important in single-slit diffraction because it determines the interference pattern formed by the diffracted light. It affects the intensity and distribution of light in the diffraction pattern.

3. How does the width of the slit affect the phase difference in single-slit diffraction?

The width of the slit, represented by the variable d, is directly proportional to the phase difference in single-slit diffraction. This means that a wider slit will result in a larger phase difference and a narrower slit will result in a smaller phase difference.

4. Can the phase difference be negative in single-slit diffraction?

Yes, the phase difference can be negative in single-slit diffraction. This occurs when the diffracted waves are out of phase, resulting in destructive interference and a decrease in intensity in certain areas of the diffraction pattern.

5. How does the wavelength of the incident light affect the phase difference in single-slit diffraction?

The wavelength of the incident light, represented by the variable λ, is inversely proportional to the phase difference in single-slit diffraction. This means that a longer wavelength will result in a smaller phase difference and a shorter wavelength will result in a larger phase difference.