Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase equilibrium - beyond critical point

1. Jun 29, 2003 #1
    phase equilibrium -- beyond critical point

In a phase diagram, at critical point, liquid phase is indistinguishable from vapour, and beyond which, only vapour can be found. Matter has four states, liquid, solid, gas and plasma. Can we include plasma state in a phase diagram? If yes, how should the phase diagram be drawn? Also, I'm not very clear of what plasma state is, could someone give me a URL/explanation on that please.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: phase equilibrium -- beyond critical point

A plasma is just an ionized gas. I don't think phase transistions apply here since this is not a thermodynamic state, ie. we don't arrive at this state through a thermodynamic process...less the fact that we need a gas. Ionization can only be explained through QM.

How's the studying coming along?

4. Jul 2, 2003 #3
    Re: Re: phase equilibrium -- beyond critical point

An elememtary question, what is a thermodynamic state? I know if we apply lots of energy to matter, say sodium, it will change from solid state to liquid state, then to vapour state, and then turn into plasma, but I don't understand the term "thermodynamic state".

The last exam paper that requires me to study beforehand will be finished in 5 hours.

5. Jul 2, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: phase equilibrium -- beyond critical point

Hmmmm. True. I guess this gets to be risky business since it all come down to QM eventually. I guess what I meant was a state that can be described by the principles of thermodynamics - statistical calculations and such. I think the problem is that Classical Thermodynamics cannot address the formation of plasma. But you are correct that it is just another state dependent on the energy in the system. By this, I think that we could argue that fusion is a phase transition also. So, perhaps you touch on Quantum Thermodynamics with this question? I also think your point is valid. These do seem like other phase transitions. This could also be a simple matter of definition; the ones that we use fail to address your suggestion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?