Calculating Mass of Non-Volatile Solute W in Solvent B for Phase Equilibrium

Pa. The correct equation should be 20 = (0.2/W+0.2) x 55, solving this equation will give us the correct mass of W, which is approximately 8.58g. Therefore, the correct answer is B.
siewwen168
The vapour pressure of a pure liquid solvent B is 75 kPa. When an unknown mass of non volatile solute W was added to 0.2 moles of solvent B,its vapour pressure drops by 20 kPa. If the relative molecular mass of W is 118,how much of W was added to B?

A 5.07g
B 8.58g
C 23.44g
D 64.9g

i will show my calculation here,but i don't think its correct because my answer wrong .please state out my mistake.

P(B) = X(B) x P(pure B)
20 = (0.2/W+0.2) x 75
W =0.55

mass of W = 0.55x118
= 64.90g
the actual answer is B,i think my answer is unreasonable too,cause the mass is too big,but from my calculation,i get 64.9g.why?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
20 = (0.2/W+0.2) x 75
wrong value for the vapor pressure, it has dropped by 20kPa

After reviewing your calculation, it appears that your mistake is in the first equation. The correct equation should be:

P(B) = X(B) x P(pure B)
20 = (W/0.2+W) x 75

Solving for W, we get:
W = 0.44 moles

To convert moles to grams, we use the molar mass of W (118 g/mol):
Mass of W = 0.44 mol x 118 g/mol = 52.05 g

Therefore, the correct answer is not any of the given options. It should be 52.05g. Please double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is phase equilibrium?

Phase equilibrium refers to the state in which two or more phases of a substance coexist in a stable and balanced manner. This means that the rate of change between the phases is equal, resulting in a constant composition and properties of the substance.

2. What factors affect phase equilibrium?

The factors that affect phase equilibrium include temperature, pressure, and the composition of the substance. These factors determine the conditions under which the different phases of a substance can coexist in equilibrium.

3. How is phase equilibrium represented graphically?

Phase equilibrium is often represented graphically on a phase diagram, which plots the temperature and pressure conditions at which different phases of a substance can coexist. The lines on the diagram represent the boundary between the phases at equilibrium.

4. What is the difference between a single-phase and multi-phase system?

A single-phase system consists of only one phase of a substance, while a multi-phase system contains two or more phases in equilibrium. In a single-phase system, the composition and properties of the substance are uniform, while in a multi-phase system, they may vary between the different phases.

5. How does phase equilibrium relate to chemical reactions?

Phase equilibrium is important in understanding and predicting chemical reactions, as it determines the conditions under which a reaction can occur. A chemical reaction will only take place if the reactants are in the same phase, and if the products are in a different phase, they must be separated for the reaction to continue.