Does the Phase Factor in Wave Function Matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of a phase factor in the wave function, specifically in the context of finding the correct answer to a problem. The speakers question whether both answers, one with a phase factor and one without, are correct and if they ultimately result in the same probability amplitude. It is noted that if n is an integer, then trigonometry shows that the two answers are equivalent. The conversation ends with the suggestion to fully formulate the problem before determining if both answers are satisfactory.
captain
does a phase factor (that can be represented by an imaginary exponential) in psi (the wave function) really matter? I am doing a problem and getting an answer that looks like sin[n(pi)x/a] when the answer is actually sin[n(pi)x/a-n(pi)]. I am just wondering at all if it makes any defference in the scheme of things. are both answers correct (because i know the probablity will still be the same)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If n is an integer, then trigonometry shows that the two sins are the same..

pam said:
If n is an integer, then trigonometry shows that the two sins are the same..

up to a sign, as far as I remember trigonometry.

akhmeteli said:
up to a sign, as far as I remember trigonometry.

i understand that but are they both the same answer for a probability amplitude that fits the boundary conditions and where n in the form above is an integer?

captain said:
i understand that but are they both the same answer for a probability amplitude that fits the boundary conditions and where n in the form above is an integer?
You see, now you are supplying more details. Now your question sounds less philosophical and more mathematical. Why don't you just formulate the problem in its entirety, and then we might opine whether both answers are equally satisfactory.

captain said:
If [tex]\psi[/tex] is a wave function, then [tex]e^{i\phi}\psi[/tex] is an equivalent wave function. In you case [tex]\phi=n\pi[/tex]. -sin kx is equivalent to +sin kx.

1. What is the phase factor in a wave function?

The phase factor in a wave function is a complex number that represents the overall phase of the wave. It is often denoted by the Greek letter phi (φ) and can be thought of as the "starting point" of the wave.

2. How does the phase factor affect the wave function?

The phase factor can affect the amplitude and/or the frequency of the wave function. It determines the interference patterns and overall behavior of the wave, such as whether it is constructive or destructive.

3. Can the phase factor be changed or manipulated?

Yes, the phase factor can be changed or manipulated through various methods such as applying a phase shift or using a phase plate. This can be useful in controlling the properties of the wave and studying its behavior.

4. Does the phase factor have a physical significance?

Yes, the phase factor has physical significance as it directly relates to the energy of the wave. It is also important in determining the state of a quantum system and can be measured experimentally.

5. How does the phase factor affect the probability distribution of a wave function?

The phase factor can affect the probability distribution of a wave function by changing the interference patterns and altering the amplitudes of different points in space. This can impact the likelihood of finding a particle at a certain location in a quantum system.