Understanding the PLL Block Diagram & Stable Point of Operation

In summary, the PLL block diagram shown in the figure is used to generate currents (i alpha and i beta) that are in phase with the positive fundamental sequence of the voltage. To reach a stable point, the input to the PI controller must have an average value of zero in steady state. This means that the current ia and voltage va must be orthogonal to each other (cos(phi) = 0). Additionally, the frequency omega must be equal to the system frequency for the PLL to reach a stable point of operation. The capture transient phenomenon is also discussed in the Signetics book, which is a recommended resource for understanding PLLs.
OliskaP
I have some trouble fully understanding the PLL block diagram shown below in the figure. The PLL circuit is used to generate currents (i alpha and i beta) which are in phase with the positive fundamental sequence of the voltage.

I am using the book "Instantaneous Power Theory and Applications to Power Condition" which I found as a pdf on the web.

The authors write:
  • The only way for the PLL to reach a stable point is if the input to the PI controller in steady state has an average value of zero.
For the average power to be zero in steady state the current ia and voltage va has to be orthogonal to each other, i.e. [itex]cos(\phi) = 0[/itex].

The author also write that the frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] has to be equal to the system frequency and the current and voltages has to be orthogonal to reach a stable point of operation.

Why must [itex]\omega[/itex] be equal to system frequency to reach a stable point of operation?I would appreciate if someone help me fully understood how this circuit works

EDIT: I forgot to write 2pi/3 at the left bottom block, i wrote pi/3.
PLL.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
the best book i know of for PLL's is Signetics from 1972.

it's archived at https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_signeticsdcsPLLApplications_5800304

i saved a copy in my 'electronics' folder. Signetics NE565 datasheet is a companion piece.

OliskaP said:
Why must ω\omega be equal to system frequency to reach a stable point of operation?

That's what PLL's do, lock on to a frequency. Being out of sync is like grinding gear teeth. Read about capture transient in that Signetics book.

Likes OliskaP
http://www.ece.usu.edu/ece_store/spec/LM565.pdf

Likes OliskaP
Thank you @jim hardy , i'll read what you suggested tomorrow morning.

1. What is a PLL block diagram?

A PLL (Phase-Locked Loop) block diagram is a circuit that is used to generate an output signal with a fixed phase relationship to an input signal. It consists of a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO), phase detector, low-pass filter, and feedback loop.

2. How does a PLL work?

A PLL works by comparing the phase of the input signal to the phase of the output signal from the VCO. The phase detector then produces an error signal, which is filtered and used to adjust the VCO's frequency. This process continues until the phase difference between the input and output signals is minimized, resulting in a stable output signal.

3. What is the stable point of operation in a PLL?

The stable point of operation in a PLL is when the input and output signals are in phase and the VCO frequency is locked to the input signal frequency. This point is also known as the "lock point" or "lock-in range" and is essential for the PLL to function properly.

4. What factors affect the stability of a PLL?

Several factors can impact the stability of a PLL, including the loop filter design, VCO characteristics, and external noise. The loop filter's bandwidth and gain can also affect the stability, as well as the quality of the components used in the circuit.

5. How can I determine the stability of a PLL?

The stability of a PLL can be determined by analyzing its phase margin, which is the amount of phase difference between the input and output signals at the stable point of operation. A higher phase margin indicates a more stable PLL, while a lower phase margin can result in instability and potential oscillations.