1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase of a complex EM-wave

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

My lecturer today mentioned today that the imaginary part of an EM-wave gives the phase of it. I can't quite understand this statement, considering the imginary part of an EM-wave is not something we can measure. Was he right?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Niles! :smile:
    Yes, "the imaginary part" and "ei(phase)" are synonymous.
    Yes we can … think fringes etc. :wink:

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    Hi, thanks for answering. When I hear phase, then I associate it with θ in
    [tex]
    E = E_0e^{i(\omega t + \theta)}
    [/tex]
    With this definition of the phase, then I guess the imaginary part of E cannot be regarded as the phase?

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4

turin

Homework Helper

"gives" is ambiguous in this context. I would give your instructor the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps a more thorough/complete statement would be:
    The comparison of the imaginary part to the real part gives the phase as
    Code (Text):

phase = arctan( Im{amplitude} / Re{amplitude})

The imaginary part can't be measured directly in the sense of comparison to a real-valued standard, of course, but it does have physical consequences. It is not so much measureable as formal: something that allows you to frame the wave propagation in a beautifully elegant formalism (that has more profound consequences in quantum theory).

6. Mar 10, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Niles! :smile:
    yes, that's really the phase difference

the difference between the phase of that and of [itex]E = E_0e^{i\omega t}[/itex] …

but we shorten "phase difference" to "phase" in the same way as eg we often shorten "height difference" to "height" :wink:

7. Mar 12, 2012 #6
    To be more precise, the imaginary part is uniquely determined by the real part through a Hilbert transform, and they form something called a complex analytic signal that is equivalent but easier to work with. So yes you can measure the imag part, but only indirectly.

8. Mar 12, 2012 #7
    Thanks! So I guess my professor wasn't 100% right when saying that hte phase difference θ is merely the imaginary part of the EM-wave (see Turin's answer).

Great, thanks. I guess you are referring to the Kramers-Kronig relations?

Thanks for that, that cleared things for me!

9. Mar 12, 2012 #8
    I was convinced that Kramers-Kronig relations are closely related, but are not the same as Hilbert transforms, but I don't know what the subtle difference is. In this situation, I think Hilbert transform is more appropriate, since we're only looking at the real t axis, not the complex z=iwt plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook