Does the Imaginary Part of an EM-Wave Determine Its Phase?

In summary, the lecturer mentioned that the imaginary part of an EM-wave gives the phase of the wave, but this statement can be ambiguous. The correct interpretation is that the comparison of the imaginary part to the real part gives the phase as phase = arctan(Im{amplitude}/Re{amplitude}). The imaginary part cannot be directly measured, but it has physical consequences and can be determined through a Hilbert transform. This allows for a more elegant formalism in understanding wave propagation, with further implications in quantum theory.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

My lecturer today mentioned today that the imaginary part of an EM-wave gives the phase of it. I can't quite understand this statement, considering the imginary part of an EM-wave is not something we can measure. Was he right?

Thanks in advance.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Niles! :smile:
Niles said:
My lecturer today mentioned today that the imaginary part of an EM-wave gives the phase of it.

Yes, "the imaginary part" and "ei(phase)" are synonymous.
… the imginary part of an EM-wave is not something we can measure.

Yes we can … think fringes etc. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, "the imaginary part" and "ei(phase)" are synonymous.

Hi, thanks for answering. When I hear phase, then I associate it with θ in
[tex]
E = E_0e^{i(\omega t + \theta)}
[/tex]
With this definition of the phase, then I guess the imaginary part of E cannot be regarded as the phase?

Niles said:
... the imaginary part of an EM-wave gives the phase of it.
"gives" is ambiguous in this context. I would give your instructor the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps a more thorough/complete statement would be:
The comparison of the imaginary part to the real part gives the phase as
Code:
phase = arctan( Im{amplitude} / Re{amplitude})

Niles said:
I can't quite understand this statement, considering the imginary part of an EM-wave is not something we can measure.
The imaginary part can't be measured directly in the sense of comparison to a real-valued standard, of course, but it does have physical consequences. It is not so much measureable as formal: something that allows you to frame the wave propagation in a beautifully elegant formalism (that has more profound consequences in quantum theory).

Niles said:
When I hear phase, then I associate it with θ in
[tex]
E = E_0e^{i(\omega t + \theta)}
[/tex]

yes, that's really the phase difference

the difference between the phase of that and of [itex]E = E_0e^{i\omega t}[/itex] …

but we shorten "phase difference" to "phase" in the same way as eg we often shorten "height difference" to "height" :wink:

To be more precise, the imaginary part is uniquely determined by the real part through a Hilbert transform, and they form something called a complex analytic signal that is equivalent but easier to work with. So yes you can measure the imag part, but only indirectly.

tiny-tim said:
yes, that's really the phase difference

the difference between the phase of that and of [itex]E = E_0e^{i\omega t}[/itex] …

but we shorten "phase difference" to "phase" in the same way as eg we often shorten "height difference" to "height" :wink:
Thanks! So I guess my professor wasn't 100% right when saying that hte phase difference θ is merely the imaginary part of the EM-wave (see Turin's answer).

sunjin09 said:
To be more precise, the imaginary part is uniquely determined by the real part through a Hilbert transform, and they form something called a complex analytic signal that is equivalent but easier to work with. So yes you can measure the imag part, but only indirectly.
Great, thanks. I guess you are referring to the Kramers-Kronig relations?

turin said:
"gives" is ambiguous in this context. I would give your instructor the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps a more thorough/complete statement would be:
The comparison of the imaginary part to the real part gives the phase as
Code:
phase = arctan( Im{amplitude} / Re{amplitude})

The imaginary part can't be measured directly in the sense of comparison to a real-valued standard, of course, but it does have physical consequences. It is not so much measureable as formal: something that allows you to frame the wave propagation in a beautifully elegant formalism (that has more profound consequences in quantum theory).
Thanks for that, that cleared things for me!

I was convinced that Kramers-Kronig relations are closely related, but are not the same as Hilbert transforms, but I don't know what the subtle difference is. In this situation, I think Hilbert transform is more appropriate, since we're only looking at the real t axis, not the complex z=iwt plane.

1. What is the phase of a complex EM-wave?

The phase of a complex EM-wave refers to the position of the wave at a specific point in time. It is a measure of the cyclic behavior of the wave and can be described as the fraction of the wave cycle that has been completed at a given point.

2. How is the phase of a complex EM-wave measured?

The phase of a complex EM-wave is typically measured in degrees or radians. It is determined by measuring the time difference between the peak of the wave and a reference point, such as the start of the cycle or another fixed point on the wave.

3. What is the relationship between the phase and frequency of a complex EM-wave?

The phase and frequency of a complex EM-wave have an inverse relationship. As the frequency increases, the number of cycles completed in a given time also increases, resulting in a smaller phase difference between two points on the wave.

4. How does the phase of a complex EM-wave affect its behavior?

The phase of a complex EM-wave can affect its interference and diffraction patterns, as well as its ability to transmit through different mediums. In addition, the phase can also impact the polarization and direction of the wave.

5. Can the phase of a complex EM-wave be changed?

Yes, the phase of a complex EM-wave can be changed through various methods such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction. These processes can alter the path and direction of the wave, resulting in a change in its phase at a given point.