1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase of a complex number

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Is the phase of a complex number always taken with respect to the real, positive axis? I mean, is it always the direction as shown here: http://theories.toequest.com/content_images/4/argand.gif

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. Any complex number, a+ bi, can be written, in "polar coordinates", as [itex]r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))= re^{i\theta}[/itex] where r is the distance from (0, 0) (= 0+ i0) to (a,b) (= a+ bi) and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the line from (0,0) to (a, b) makes with the positive x- axis.

Note that because cosine, sine and [itex]e^{i\theta}[/itex] are all periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex] we can add any multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex] to theta: [itex]a+ bi= r (cos(\theta+ 2n\pi)+ i sin(\theta+ 2n\pi)= re^{i(\theta+ 2n\pi)}[/itex] for n any integer. However, that angle is still measured from the positive x-axis.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  4. Dec 27, 2008 #3
    Thanks. You have helped me alot lately.

Merry Christmas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?