1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase of an oscillation

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A body oscillates with simple harmonic motion along the x-axis. Its displacement varies with time according to the equation x = 5sin(pi*t + pi/3). The phase (in rad) of the motion at t = 2s is

a) (7pi)/3 b) pi/3 c) pi d) (5pi)/3 e) 2pi

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plugged in the value for t=2 but I really did not know how to past this point. The answer is supposed to be a)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please show your work. What do you get for x(2)?

4. Feb 18, 2015 #3
    x(2) = 4.33. But how do I determine the phase? Is the phase simply what is in the brackets? So the phase is equal to 2pi+(pi/3)?

5. Feb 18, 2015 #4

berkeman

Yes. What is that in radians?

6. Feb 18, 2015 #5
    Its 7pi/3. So for any equation of a particle in SHM, the phase is the part inside the brackets?

7. Feb 18, 2015 #6

berkeman

Sort of. For a sinusoidal function (sin or cos), you can picture the value in 2-dimensions on a circle. The amplitude is the radius of the circle, and the point that rotates around the circle with time has some phase angle θ with the positive horizontal axis. If you have a sin() function like you do in this problem, then yes, the value in the () is the phase angle θ with the horizontal axis.

http://images.tutorcircle.com/cms/images/106/unit-circle-example.png

Attached Files:

8. Feb 18, 2015 #7
    Now I understand, thank you so much!

9. Feb 18, 2015 #8

berkeman

It may be true in general, but sometimes we define phase with respect to something, so I'm not sure it is a general statement. Others can correct that if appropriate. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted