Calculating Phase Resistance for BLDC Motor: What Factors Should I Consider?

In summary, to find the phase resistance of a three-phase BLDC motor, you need to measure the resistance between the phases black-red using an ohm-meter. This is because the voltage is in trapezoidal form (back-emf) and the current is in rectangular form (due to driver switching). When dimensioning a driver, it is important to consider the phase-to-phase resistance.
Trainee28
Hello,

I have a three phase BLDC motor and I am trying to figure out its phase resistance. I have acquired the three-phase voltages and three-phase line currents of this motor. The voltage is in trapezoidal form whereas the current is in rectangular form

My question is: how can I find out the phase resistance with these two datas? Do I have to calculate the rms value of these two voltage and current waveform and then just apply the ohm's law V=RI, or is there anything else to take into account?

Can someone help me please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Trainee28 said:
The voltage is in trapezoidal form whereas the current is in rectangular form
When you look at the voltage form (trapezodial), you are looking at the back-emf of the motor. The current has a rectangular form, because the driver switches the phase current off at some electrical angle intervals.

4-Pole-brushless-DC-motor-animation.jpg

The diagram shows a Y-coupled BLDC motor. The green wire is the center of the Y.

By an ohm-meter, you can measure the resistance between the phases black-red. Follow the black-green-red wires in diagram and you will see that you have measured two sets of phase-coils, so dividing your measured value by two, you must find the phase resistance.

If you want to dimension some driver, you must regard the phase-to-phase resistance, because that's what your driver will "see".

Last edited:

What is a Phase Resistance BLDC motor?

A Phase Resistance BLDC (Brushless Direct Current) motor is a type of electric motor that uses electronic commutation instead of mechanical brushes to control the speed and torque of the motor. It has three phases, each with its own winding and resistance, which work together to produce rotation.

How does a Phase Resistance BLDC motor work?

A Phase Resistance BLDC motor works by using a permanent magnet rotor and a stator with three coils. The coils are energized in a specific sequence by an electronic controller, causing the motor to rotate. As the rotor turns, the coils are switched on and off in a pattern to keep the motor running smoothly.

What are the advantages of using a Phase Resistance BLDC motor?

There are several advantages to using a Phase Resistance BLDC motor. One of the main benefits is that it has a longer lifespan compared to brushed motors because there are no mechanical brushes to wear out. It also has a higher power-to-weight ratio, better speed control, and is more efficient than traditional motors.

What are the applications of Phase Resistance BLDC motors?

Phase Resistance BLDC motors are commonly used in various applications, including electric vehicles, industrial machinery, and appliances. They are also used in robotics, drones, and medical equipment due to their high efficiency and precise speed control.

What are the maintenance requirements for a Phase Resistance BLDC motor?

Phase Resistance BLDC motors require minimal maintenance due to their brushless design. However, it is important to regularly check and clean the motor to ensure it is free of dust and debris, which can affect its performance. It is also recommended to periodically check the connections and wiring to prevent any potential issues.