Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase resistance BLDC motor

1. Jun 10, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I have a three phase BLDC motor and I am trying to figure out its phase resistance. I have acquired the three-phase voltages and three-phase line currents of this motor. The voltage is in trapezoidal form whereas the current is in rectangular form

My question is: how can I find out the phase resistance with these two datas? Do I have to calculate the rms value of these two voltage and current waveform and then just apply the ohm's law V=RI, or is there anything else to take into account?

Can someone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

When you look at the voltage form (trapezodial), you are looking at the back-emf of the motor. The current has a rectangular form, because the driver switches the phase current off at some electrical angle intervals.

4-Pole-brushless-DC-motor-animation.jpg

The diagram shows a Y-coupled BLDC motor. The green wire is the center of the Y.

By an ohm-meter, you can measure the resistance between the phases black-red. Follow the black-green-red wires in diagram and you will see that you have measured two sets of phase-coils, so dividing your measured value by two, you must find the phase resistance.

If you want to dimension some driver, you must regard the phase-to-phase resistance, because that's what your driver will "see".

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook