1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase shift & circuits

1. Jun 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An RLC circuit has a resistance of 2.0 kΩ, a capacitance of 8.0 µF, and an inductance of 9.0 H. If the frequency of the alternating current is 4.0/π kHz, what is the phase shift between the current and the voltage?
    A) -1.6 rad
    B) -1.5 rad
    C) 36 rad
    D) 3.1 rad

2. Relevant equations

Tan-1 (XL-Xc/R)

3. The attempt at a solution

at first i thought that since current phasors lag by 90 degrees that it may be -1.5 rads. but that isn't correct.
    then i used the the inverse tangent equation above in hopes of finding the angle which came out to be 88.4 degrees (which is about 1.5 rads)
    i then took the 88.4 degrees and subtracted it from 90 degrees, because I thought it might turn out a correct answer because the phasors are perpendicular to each other. but that gives you 1.6 which is not correct either.
    I'm not sure what equation to use ...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work is correct, the current lags the voltage by 1.54 rad. The book might have rounded off too early, so it can be A or B.

ehild

4. Jun 14, 2014 #3
    yeah that's what i thought, but i submitted both of those and neither is correct but i think that may be a mistake! thanks!

5. Jun 15, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I calculated -1.44 rad:
    w = 8 rad/s
    angle = tan-1{(8*9 - 1/64e-6)/2e3} = tan-1(-7.78) = -82.7 deg = -1.443 rad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted