1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase shift of reflected wave

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An EM wave normally shed on a conductive material ([itex]\tilde{\epsilon}=\epsilon+i\epsilon_i,\mu_0[/itex]). Calculate the phase shift of the electric field of the reflected wave relative to that of the incident wave.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\nabla^2\textbf{E}=\mu\epsilon\frac{\partial^2\textbf{E}}{\partial t^2}+\mu\sigma\frac{\partial\textbf{E}}{\partial t}\Rightarrow\tilde{\textbf{E}}=\tilde{\textbf{E}}_0e^{i(\tilde{k}z-\omega t)}[/itex]

[itex]\nabla^2\textbf{B}=\mu\epsilon\frac{\partial^2\textbf{B}}{\partial t^2}+\mu\sigma\frac{\partial\textbf{B}}{\partial t}\Rightarrow\tilde{\textbf{B}}=\tilde{\textbf{B}}_0e^{i(\tilde{k}z-\omega t)}[/itex]

[itex]\tilde{k}=k+i\kappa\qquad;\qquad k=\omega\sqrt\frac{\epsilon\mu}{2}\left[\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon\mu}\right)^2}+1\right]^{\frac{1}{2}}\,,\qquad\kappa=\omega\sqrt\frac{\epsilon\mu}{2}\left[\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon\mu}\right)^2}-1\right]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

If I express [itex]\tilde{k}[/itex] as [itex]\tilde{k}=Ke^{i\phi}[/itex] where [itex]K[/itex] is a constant, I have a phase difference [itex]\phi=\tan^{-1}\frac{\kappa}{k}[/itex]. This however seem to be the phase difference between the E and B field and not between the incident and reflected wave. I am the grader of a course using the second half of Griffiths' EM text book, but I don't seem to be able to find the solution to this question there.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From Maxwell equations you can derive how the B and E waves are related. You also have to know that the tangential components of E and B/μ are continuous at an interface, and that can happen only if there is a reflected wave in addition to the incident wave. Applying the boundary conditions, you get the reflection coefficient at normal incidence in terms of the complex k as r=(ko-k)/(ko+k) (where ko is ω/c). Or you can write that k=ω/c N with N the complex refractive index, and then r= (No-N)/(No+N). You must find related material in Griffiths'.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted