Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Phase space factor

1. Jul 15, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I'm recently reading "Particle Physics in the LHC Era" and there is a part about the phase space factor that confuses me. When giving the Lorentz invariant phase space, they wrote:

d3p / 2E = θ(E) δ(p2 - m2) d4p

This is very confusing as it equates a three dimensional differential to a four dimensional one. Is there anything I didn't take into account?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2017 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Well...actually that equal sign is not really an equal sign. It just means these two are the same integral measures and that's because we're assuming the energy is positive and the particle is on-shell(i.e. satisfies ## p^2=m^2 ##).
    So it actually means ## \displaystyle \int f(E,\mathbf p) \frac{d^3\mathbf p}{2E}=\int f(p) \theta(E)\delta(p^2-m^2)d^4p ##, where ##\mathbf p## is a three-vector and ##p## is a four-vector.

4. Jul 15, 2017 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The delta function, which functions as a constraint that reduces the dimensionality by 1.

5. Jul 15, 2017 #4
    Thank you so much ShayanJ! I get it now!!!

And also thanks to Vanadium 50 for pointing that out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted