Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase space for GR

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    In the 3+1 formulation of GR we have the following basic variables:

[tex]g_{ij} = \textrm{metric on a spatial surface}[/tex]
    [tex]\pi^{ij} = \textrm{momentum conjugate to }g_{ij}[/tex]
    [tex]N^i = \textrm{shift vector}[/tex]
    [tex]N = \textrm{lapse function}[/tex]

Both [itex]N[/itex] and [tex]N^i[/itex] are purely gauge variables, so are essentially unimportant. This means that the phase space for GR is essentially the space of pairs [itex](g_{ij},\pi^{ij})[/itex] over a given spatial manifold [itex]\Sigma[/itex]. (I know this isn't really the phase space since GR has constraints, but that's irrelevant for my current question.)

The point is that, in most treatments of which I am aware, the spatial manifold [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is taken to be closed, i.e., compact and without boundary. However, if we extend these ideas by setting [itex]\partial\Sigma\ne0[/itex] then we know that the action for GR also requires a boundary term. Does this then imply that the phase space for GR should be extended to the set

[tex]\{g_{ij},\pi^{ij},\gamma_{AB},p^{AB}\}[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma^{AB}[/itex] is a two-dimensional metric on [itex]\partial\Sigma[/itex] and [itex]p^{AB}[/itex] is its conjugate momentum?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted