Deriving Bundle Map for Tangent Space on Sphere | QM and Phase Space Topology

In summary, the conversation is about trying to derive a bundle map for a tangent space on a sphere in the context of quantum mechanics and phase space topology. The person is also exploring tensor calculus and the symmetry of space and time in relation to QM. They mention the need for a continuous sectional function and a smooth inner measure for the bundle map to work. They also briefly discuss their attempt at a solution, which involves a bivector form for the vertices/crossings and deriving section and projective functions.
deferro

Homework Statement

Trying to derive a bundle map for a tangent space on a sphere. This is in line with some online courses in QM and phase space topology. I'm not doing an assignment as such (I'm a postgrad though).
This is also in line with keeping up with tensor calculus (and the symmetry of space+time), since QM is way easier in that case.

Homework Equations

a is a 2 deg vertex [tex] a(\phi_i \bar \phi_j) [/tex]. i,j are state indices; i indexes a null-vertex in the graph G(V,E), the vertex is aligned as a line (a geodesic) on the sphere, w/ edges at +/- infinity.
[tex] \phi_i [/tex] recovers [tex] \bar \phi_j [/tex] at a, the crossing in G.
a = (p + ic) where c is the color at the crossing indexed by j.

This is the trivial fiber over the base space S' and G: G -> B needs a continuous sectional function which is smooth over E the inner measure, M the manifold (sphere), F the fiber space and B the base space or map.

The Attempt at a Solution

Write a bivector form for the vertices/crossings and derive the section and projective functions that way?

ed: s'ok, I think I just realized it's a matter of a swapping for vertex-edge pairs from one to the other space, and so on...(doh!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but it seems like you are trying to derive a bundle map for a tangent space on a sphere in the context of quantum mechanics and phase space topology. It's great that you are keeping up with tensor calculus and exploring the symmetry of space and time in relation to QM.

To address your attempt at a solution, it may be helpful to first define some terms and clarify the problem a bit more. What do you mean by a "bivector form" for the vertices/crossings? Are you looking for a specific mathematical expression or equation? Also, what do you mean by "section and projective functions"? How do they relate to the bundle map you are trying to derive?

In general, a bundle map is a continuous function that maps points in one bundle to points in another bundle, preserving the structure of the bundles. In this case, it seems like you are trying to map points on the sphere (the base space) to points in the tangent space bundle. It may be helpful to first define the tangent space bundle and its structure before attempting to derive a bundle map.

I hope this helps and if you can provide some more information or clarification, I would be happy to try and assist further. Good luck with your work!

What is the purpose of deriving a bundle map for tangent space on a sphere?

The purpose of deriving a bundle map for tangent space on a sphere is to understand the topology of quantum mechanics (QM) and phase space. This map helps to visualize the relationship between the two spaces and how they interact with each other.

How is the bundle map derived for tangent space on a sphere?

The bundle map is derived by using mathematical techniques such as differential geometry and topology. It involves defining a tangent space on the sphere and then using vector fields to map the phase space onto the tangent space.

What implications does the bundle map have for QM and phase space topology?

The bundle map allows for a better understanding of the topology of QM and phase space. It can reveal the symmetries and structures present in both spaces and how they relate to each other. This can lead to new insights and advancements in quantum mechanics and phase space studies.

Are there any limitations to the bundle map for tangent space on a sphere?

Like any mathematical model, the bundle map has its limitations. It may not accurately represent all aspects of QM and phase space, and it may not be applicable to all scenarios. It is important to consider these limitations when using the bundle map for analysis or predictions.

Can the bundle map be applied to other spaces besides the sphere?

Yes, the bundle map can be applied to other spaces besides the sphere. It can be used to study the topology of other manifolds, such as tori or higher-dimensional spheres. However, the specific techniques and calculations may differ depending on the space being studied.