Phase transformation Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the free energy of nucleation in heterogeneous and homogeneous systems. The formula for heterogeneous nucleation is partly for a spherical nucleus and partly for a hemispherical nucleus. The volume and surface area equations for a hemispherical heterogeneous nucleus are different due to the absence of surface energy associated with the boundary between the nucleus and the surface. The radius of maximum energy will also differ for homogeneous and heterogeneous nucleation.
Dampi
My question is related to free energy of nucleation in heterogeneous systems and homogeneous systems.

I've been given to prove delta_G* (Hetero.)= 27/64 * (delta_G*(Homo))

The stuff I know is :
Total (delta G ) = [-4/3 *Pi*r^3* delta Gv] + [4*Pi*r^2*sigma] - [Pi*r^2 * sigma]

1st term is related to energy of volume destroyed in liquid during formation of spherical nucleus
2nd term is surface area created by the sphere which is a positive interfacial energy
3rd term is grain boundary area destroyed as the nucleus forms. (im not quite sure of this though)

so total delta G = delta hetero.

when i substitute r* =2*sigma/delta Gv

I get delta G* het= 1/4 *delta G* homo...

it'd be great if anyone can let me know where I'm going wrong!
Thanx!

Engineering news on Phys.org
My immediate observation is that your formula for heterogeneous nucleation is partly for a spherical nucleus and partly for a hemispherical nucleus.

You can assume that the nucleus is fully coherent with the surface on which is forming. That is a fancy way of saying the lattices in the heterogeneous nucleus and surface match so there is no surface energy associated with that boundary.

If you rewrite your equation for a hemispherical heterogeneous nucleus, the volume is
2/3(pi)(r)^3

The surface area is
2(pi)(r)^2

The area (pi)(r)^2 is the circular area of the join between the hemispherical nucleus and the surface on which it forms. When there was previously liquid in contact with it, there was an associated energy of

(pi)(r)^2(sigma)
that has been replaced by a boundary with no surface energy associated with it.

Bear in mind that your radius of maximum energy will be different for homogeneous and heterogeneous nucleation.

1. What is phase transformation?

Phase transformation is the process in which a substance changes from one physical state to another, such as from a solid to a liquid or from a liquid to a gas.

2. What factors can cause phase transformation?

The factors that can cause phase transformation include changes in temperature, pressure, or the addition/removal of a substance.

3. How does phase transformation affect material properties?

Phase transformation can significantly impact the properties of a material, as different phases have different physical and chemical properties. For example, a solid metal may be very strong, but the same metal in its liquid phase may be much more malleable.

4. What are some common examples of phase transformation?

Examples of phase transformation include melting, freezing, evaporation, condensation, and sublimation. These processes are commonly seen in everyday life, such as when water turns into ice or steam.

5. How do scientists study phase transformation?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as thermal analysis, microscopy, and X-ray diffraction, to study and analyze phase transformations. These methods allow them to observe and measure changes in the physical and chemical properties of a substance as it undergoes phase transformation.