Phase transitions: from the potential to the dynamical structure factor ?

In summary, the behavior of a system during a structural phase transition is determined by the relative magnitudes of the potential energy barrier and thermal fluctuations, with the limiting cases of much larger or much smaller thermal fluctuations leading to distinct types of transitions and corresponding dynamical structure factors.
Gan_HOPE326
Hi everybody,
I've just started studying phase transitions and symmetry breaking for my PhD and I've met something I'd like to understand better. When we study the local potential vs. the order parameter in a structural phase transition I see there are two limiting cases, the one in which the potential barrier is much greater than thermal fluctuations and the one in which it's much smaller, the first one leading to order-disorder transitions and a dynamical structure factor with 'relaxation' shape, the second one leading to displacive phase transitions and a 'phonon' dynamical structure factor. I can see why this happens (in second case system can oscillate between the two minima thanks to thermal fluctuations, in first case it can't), but how is it derived formally? I want to know because I'd like to make calculations about what happens if, instead, potential energy barrier and thermal fluctuations are of the same order. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to give a formal derivation of this result without having access to the full details of the potential energy landscape. However, the general idea is that in order for a structural phase transition to occur, the thermal fluctuations must be sufficiently large to overcome the potential energy barrier between the two minima of the potential energy surface. If the thermal fluctuations are much smaller than the potential energy barrier, then the system will remain in one of the two minima and no phase transition will occur. On the other hand, if the thermal fluctuations are much larger than the potential energy barrier, then the system can oscillate between the two minima, leading to a displacive phase transition and a 'phonon' dynamical structure factor. In the case when the potential energy barrier and the thermal fluctuations are of the same order, the system can still undergo a phase transition, but the nature of the transition and the corresponding dynamical structure factor will depend on the exact details of the potential energy landscape. In this case, it is necessary to perform numerical simulations or analytic calculations to determine the outcome of the phase transition.

1. What is a phase transition?

A phase transition is a physical phenomenon that occurs when a system undergoes a change in its thermodynamic state, resulting in a change in its properties such as temperature, pressure, or density. This change can be abrupt or gradual, and is characterized by a discontinuity in the system's thermodynamic properties.

2. How are phase transitions described mathematically?

Phase transitions are described mathematically using statistical mechanics, which involves studying the behavior of large numbers of particles in a system and their interactions. This allows us to understand how the system's properties change as it undergoes a phase transition.

3. What is the role of the potential in phase transitions?

The potential, or energy function, plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of a system during a phase transition. It describes the interactions between particles in the system and can affect the stability of different phases, as well as the rate at which a transition occurs.

4. How is the dynamical structure factor related to phase transitions?

The dynamical structure factor is a measure of how the particles in a system move and interact with each other. During a phase transition, the dynamical structure factor can change significantly, as the particles rearrange themselves and the system transitions from one phase to another.

5. What are some examples of materials that undergo phase transitions?

Phase transitions occur in a wide range of materials, from everyday substances like water (which undergoes a phase transition from liquid to solid when freezing) to more complex systems such as magnetic materials and liquid crystals. Other examples include superconductors, which undergo a phase transition to a state of zero electrical resistance at low temperatures, and ferromagnetic materials, which undergo a phase transition to a highly ordered magnetic state when cooled below a certain temperature.