Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Phase velocity and group velocity

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1
    I am kind of stuck in a question relating to phase velocity and group velocity.

I have been given that the index of refraction of a media is inversely propotional to the vacuum wavelength. And we are supposed to show the group velocity is half the phase velocity.

Now, the work I have done thus far is to have a relation between phase velocity and group velocity consisting of (dn/d{lambda}) where n is index of refraction. I don't know how to proceed from there..

Please guide me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2004 #2
    I'm not sure I have the right idea in mind, but here you go....

Group Velocity:

[tex] v_{\mbox{group}} = \frac{d\omega}{dk} [/tex]

Phase Velocity:

[tex] v_{\mbox{phase}} = \frac{\omega}{k} [/tex]

So, according to what you said: "we are supposed to show the group velocity is half the phase velocity", we have:

[tex] \frac{d\omega}{dk} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\omega}{k} \right) [/tex]

Consider the following:

[tex] \omega = 2\pi f = 2\pi \left( \frac{c}{\lambda} \right) = 2\pi \left[ \frac{c}{\left(\ \frac{2\pi}{k} \right)} \right] = ck [/tex]

Then:

[tex] \frac{d\omega}{dk} = c = n \left( \frac{\omega}{k} \right) [/tex]

We obtain

[tex] n \left( \frac{\omega}{k} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\omega}{k} \right) [/tex]

and so

[tex] n = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Again, this is just a shot in the dark...

4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    You might have misunderstood the question thiago..

we are not given that group velocity is half phase velocity..i need to prove that equality using the fact the n=A/L0 where LO is vacuum wavelength..

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook