1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase velocity and group velocity

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1
    I am kind of stuck in a question relating to phase velocity and group velocity.

I have been given that the index of refraction of a media is inversely propotional to the vacuum wavelength. And we are supposed to show the group velocity is half the phase velocity.

Now, the work I have done thus far is to have a relation between phase velocity and group velocity consisting of (dn/d{lambda}) where n is index of refraction. I don't know how to proceed from there..

Please guide me in the right direction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2004 #2
    I'm not sure I have the right idea in mind, but here you go....

Group Velocity:

[tex] v_{\mbox{group}} = \frac{d\omega}{dk} [/tex]

Phase Velocity:

[tex] v_{\mbox{phase}} = \frac{\omega}{k} [/tex]

So, according to what you said: "we are supposed to show the group velocity is half the phase velocity", we have:

[tex] \frac{d\omega}{dk} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\omega}{k} \right) [/tex]

Consider the following:

[tex] \omega = 2\pi f = 2\pi \left( \frac{c}{\lambda} \right) = 2\pi \left[ \frac{c}{\left(\ \frac{2\pi}{k} \right)} \right] = ck [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d\omega}{dk} = c = n \left( \frac{\omega}{k} \right) [/tex]

We obtain

[tex] n \left( \frac{\omega}{k} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{\omega}{k} \right) [/tex]

and so

[tex] n = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Again, this is just a shot in the dark...
  4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    You might have misunderstood the question thiago..

we are not given that group velocity is half phase velocity..i need to prove that equality using the fact the n=A/L0 where LO is vacuum wavelength..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?