1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase velocity of an electron with kinetic energy of 5eV and 50keV

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider electrons of kinetic energy 5eV and 500keV. For each electron, what would be the
    particle speed, phase velocity, group velocity, and Broglie wavelength?

2. Relevant equations
    lambda = h/p (lambda = broglie wavelength)
    K.E. for nonrelativistic calcualtion = p^2/(2m)
    phase velocity = lambda*f = lambda / time
    group velocity = dw/dk

3. The attempt at a solution
    So for the 5eV case, I found that since the energy is low, i can use non-relativistic calculation. I find the Broglie wavelength to be around 0.548 nm and the momentum to be 1.208E-24 kg(m/s). Knowing the momentum, I used p=mv to find the particle velocity, which came out to be around 1.326E6 m/s.

So far I think I am doing it right, but I cannot find the phase velocity nor the group velocity. Something tells me that for a non-relativistic case, the phase velocity is equal to c and the group velocity is equal to the particle speed. Can anyone explain this to me?

Also, how should I approach the 50keV electron case, since the energy is so high I need to use relativity.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?