Instantaneous Current Calculation in Phasor Form | Phasor Physics Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the instantaneous value of two currents (j10 A and 20 + j10 A) given the values of w and t. The first part (a) involves a change in phase from j10 A to 10, and the formula used is 10cos(wt + phi), resulting in an incorrect answer of -4.16 A. The correct answer should be -9.09 A, which is achieved by using pi/2 instead of 0 as the phase shift. The angle of j10 is 90 degrees, not 180, so it should be pi/2 radians. The second part (b) is not discussed in detail but it follows the same formula of 10
Moneer81
Hello,

came across this simple problem: Let w = 2000 rad/s and t = 1 ms. Find the instantaneous value of each of the currents given here in phasor form: a) j10 A; b) 20 + j10 A

so for part a, I changed the current (0 + j10) to 10e^0 or simply 10, then my instantaneous value should be 10cos(wt + phi) = 10cos(2+0) = -4.16 A but the answer in the book is -9.09 A. Did I do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you phase shift the j10 current to 0 phase before calculating the components at t = 1ms?

Your currents will have the form I = Ir + j Ii

So if you start out with the current I = 0 + j10, then there is a starting phase shift at time t=0, and you will start the phasor rotating from there, not from the real axis.

moneer,

it should be 10cos(wt + pi/2), this will give you the correct answer..

the angle of j10 is 90 degrees, not 180 so it should be pi/2 radians.

bigjoe5263 said:
moneer,

it should be 10cos(wt + pi/2), this will give you the correct answer..

the angle of j10 is 90 degrees, not 180 so it should be pi/2 radians.

Welcome to the PF, bigjoe. Just a reminder that we do not give out answers here on the PF for homework and coursework questions. We provide tutorial help, but not complete answers. This question is old enough that I'm pretty sure the original poster (OP) has figured it out, so I won't delete the final answer in your post (this time).

What is a phasor in physics?

A phasor is a complex number that represents a sinusoidal function in the time domain. It is used to simplify the analysis of AC circuits and signals in electrical engineering and physics.

How is a phasor diagram used to solve problems in physics?

A phasor diagram is a graphical representation of the magnitude and phase of a sinusoidal function. It is used to visually represent the relationship between different phasors and to solve problems involving AC circuits and signals, such as finding voltage and current values.

What is the difference between a phasor and a vector in physics?

While both phasors and vectors have magnitude and direction, phasors are represented by complex numbers and are used specifically for sinusoidal functions in the time domain. Vectors, on the other hand, can represent any physical quantity with both magnitude and direction in any domain.

What are the key applications of phasor analysis in physics?

Phasor analysis is used in many applications in physics, including circuit analysis, signal processing, and wave propagation. It is also commonly used in engineering fields, such as telecommunications and power systems.

How does the concept of impedance relate to phasor analysis in physics?

Impedance is a measure of opposition to the flow of AC current in a circuit. It is represented by a phasor in the frequency domain and is used in phasor analysis to calculate the relationship between voltage and current in AC circuits.