Understanding Phasor Relationships in RC Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of voltage phasors in AC circuits, specifically in the case of a simple circuit with only an AC voltage source and a resistor or a capacitor. It is explained that the voltage phasor for a resistor is in phase with the current phasor, while the voltage phasor for a capacitor is pi/2 radians behind the current phasor. However, when analyzing an RC circuit with both a resistor and capacitor, it is unclear why this relationship still holds. The book proof provided does not fully explain the reasoning behind this and the individual voltage phasors are not taken into account.
Physics_5
I understand that the voltage phasor for a resistor is in phase with the current phasor in a simple ac circuit consisting of only an AC voltage source and the resistor.

I understand that the voltage phasor for a capacitor is pi/2 radians behind the current phasor for an AC circuit consisting of only an AC voltage source and a capacitor.

When an RC circuit consisting of a resistor and capacitor in series is analyzed, I don't understand how the above still holds. Both proofs were based on the fact that the voltage across each circuit element varies by E = E0*cos(wt), but now the sum of the voltages across each element vary by this NOT each individual voltage.

I feel like this is a pure assumption. Here are the links to the book proof. I have a problem with the second picture of the phasor diagrams.
http://imgur.com/wmjzJ6C
http://imgur.com/aeh1ESb

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof does not explain why the voltage phasor for the resistor is still in phase with the current phasor and why the voltage phasor for the capacitor is still pi/2 radians behind the current phasor. It simply states that this is the case. I understand that the algebraic equations used to solve for circuit element parameters yield the same result, but I don't understand why the voltage phasors for each element are still in the same position relative to the current phasor.

1. What is a phasor and how is it used in RC circuits?

A phasor is a complex number representation of a sinusoidal signal, used to simplify the analysis of AC circuits. In RC circuits, phasors are used to analyze the behavior of the circuit in the frequency domain, as opposed to the time domain.

2. How is the phasor proof method different from other methods of analyzing RC circuits?

The phasor proof method uses complex numbers and phasors to analyze the behavior of RC circuits, while other methods, such as the time domain method, use differential equations and time-dependent functions. The phasor proof method is typically faster and more efficient for solving AC circuit problems.

3. What are the key steps involved in using phasor proof for RC circuits?

The key steps in using phasor proof for RC circuits include converting the circuit into its phasor equivalent, solving for the phasor voltage or current using Ohm's law, and converting the phasor solution back to the time domain to obtain the time-dependent solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using the phasor proof method for RC circuits?

While the phasor proof method is useful for solving AC circuit problems, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to linear circuits, and it cannot be used for circuits with nonlinear elements, such as diodes or transistors.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of the phasor proof method for RC circuits?

The accuracy of the phasor proof method can be verified by comparing the results obtained using this method with those obtained using other methods, such as the time domain method or the Laplace transform method. Additionally, the phasor proof method should always result in the same steady-state solution as the time domain method for a given circuit.