What is the significance of complex vectors in electromagnetism?

In summary, the conversation is about complex vectors in the context of electromagnetism. The first question is about the general concept and representation of complex vectors as a wave in 3D space. The second question is regarding an example problem and how to translate the phasor representation into the time domain. The conversation also touches on the meaning of "vector" and the difference between complex and actual vectors.
tomizzo
I've recently began a course on electromagnetism and have started dealing with complex vectors. I have a couple questions to ask:

Regarding the general concept of complex vectors, I am curious what these actually represent. Refer to attached equation. Am I correct to believe that this equation represents a wave as a function of time traveling through 3D space? And even though there are 3 different sinusoidal functions, they represent a single propagating signal?

Now moving onto the mathematics, I have a question regarding an example problem. Refer the second equation attached. This equation is a phasor representation of a wave in 2D space. I am having trouble translating this phasor representation into the time domain. I understand how the x component translates into cos(wt) but I am having trouble in understanding how the y component translates. Specifically, I don't understand why it is negative...

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 442
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    1,008 bytes · Views: 462
Engineering news on Phys.org
##A(t)## is the real part of ##(\hat x + j\hat y)e^{j\omega t}##.

##e^{j\omega t} = \cos \omega t + j \sin \omega t##.

And ##j^2 = -1##.

AlephZero said:
##A(t)## is the real part of ##(\hat x + j\hat y)e^{j\omega t}##.

##e^{j\omega t} = \cos \omega t + j \sin \omega t##.

And ##j^2 = -1##.

Ahh, thank you AlephZero. I apparently at times forget about the common frequency within the two components.

Regarding my first question, any insight on that?

tomizzo said:
Regarding my first question, any insight on that?

Sorry, but without any context it's just an equation with a lot of undefined variables in it.

Apparently three different things (or three components of the same thing?) are varying at the same frequency but with different amplitudes and phases, and for some reason they are added together. I think more than that is just guessing.

Actually, what is the meaning of "vector" it is a physical real vector-as force or magnetic field density, electric field or magnetic field and other. What we call vector, usually, it is only the complex [symbolic] representation of alternative sinusoidal variation of current or voltage. However there are also "complex vectors" actual vectors in complex representation. See:
http://www.ismolindell.com/publications/monographs/pdf/Methchap1.pdf

What are phasors and why are they used in complex analysis?

Phasors are complex vectors that represent the magnitude and phase of a sinusoidal signal. They are used in complex analysis to simplify calculations involving sinusoidal signals, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them.

How are phasors represented mathematically?

Phasors are represented as complex numbers, with the real part representing the magnitude and the imaginary part representing the phase. They can also be represented using polar coordinates, with the magnitude and phase as the radius and angle, respectively.

What is the relationship between phasors and sinusoidal signals?

Phasors are closely related to sinusoidal signals, as they represent the magnitude and phase of these signals at a specific point in time. By analyzing the phasor, we can determine the characteristics of the corresponding sinusoidal signal, such as frequency and amplitude.

How are phasors used in circuit analysis?

Phasors are commonly used in circuit analysis to simplify calculations involving AC circuits. By converting the circuit elements into their corresponding phasor representations, the analysis can be done using basic algebraic operations instead of complex differential equations.

What is the difference between a phasor and a vector?

Although both are represented using magnitude and direction, the main difference between a phasor and a vector is that phasors also have a phase component. This phase component is crucial in representing sinusoidal signals and makes phasors unique from traditional vectors.