1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phasors Help

1. Jan 19, 2007 #1
    I need help in understanding how to convert waves from instantaneous form to phasor form:

a wave expressed as E(z,t) = Eo * exp(-ax) * cos(wt - Bz) * ay

How do i convert this wave to phasor form and determine its direction of propogation, phase velocity and wavelength?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2
    A phasor is a quantity associated to a wave, which tells us the amplitude and the phase of the wave.

It has the general form [tex]Ae^{j\phi}[/tex] where A is the amplitude and [tex]\phi[/tex] is the phase of the wave.

In your equation [tex]E(z,t) = E_{0}{\cdot}e^{-a_{x}}{\cdot}cos({\omega}t - Bz){\cdot}a_{y}[/tex] ,

[tex]E_{0}e^{-a_{x}}a_{y}[/tex] is the amplitude and [tex]-Bz[/tex] is the phase.

The direction of propagation is in general, the direction of the wave vector, which here, since [tex]E = E(z,t)[/tex] is simply the direction of the [tex]z[/tex] axes. The phase velocity is by definition [tex]\omega[/tex] and the wavelength is by definition [tex]\frac{2\pi}{wave number}[/tex], the wave number in this case being [tex]B[/tex].

[tex]a_{x}[/tex] and [tex]a_{y}[/tex] are the polarization parameters so they only affect the direction of the [tex]E[/tex] vector in the [tex]xy[/tex] plane.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phasor_(electronics) for more information on phasors.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  4. Jan 21, 2007 #3
    Thanks antonantal. One more question.

[tex]E(z,t) = E_{0}{\cdot}e^{-{\alpha}x}{\cdot}cos({\omega}t - Bz){\cdot}a_{y}[/tex]

After transforming this equation to phasor form, how would I compute the curl of E? The field is E(z,t) with only a z-component, yet the equation has an x in it. Because of this, do I compute the partial derivative with respect to x as well?

Thanks in advance for any help.

5. Jan 21, 2007 #4
    That's an [tex]a_{x}[/tex] not an [tex]a{\cdot}x[/tex] isn't it?

6. Jan 21, 2007 #5
    it's an "{alpha} * x"

7. Jan 21, 2007 #6
    Ok. From the equation we can see that the wave is polarized on the [tex]y[/tex] direction, since the polarization parameter [tex]a_{y}[/tex] is present. This means that the [tex]E[/tex] vector only has component on the [tex]y[/tex] direction. But the size of this component depends on [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]z[/tex].

So in the formula of the curl you will only have partial derrivatives of [tex]E_{y}[/tex] with respect to [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]z[/tex].

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?