Options for US PhD Programs in Physics without GRE Requirements?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting admitted to a physics PhD program without having to take the GRE exam. One person shares their personal experience of being admitted without the GRE at a Catholic university and suggests that other universities may also make exceptions. Another person suggests that it may be beneficial to at least take the general GRE for admission purposes.
hom
Can anyone tell me the names of US PhD Schools for admission in Physics without GRE score?

ajnkdl@yahoo.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After graduation, I worked a couple years before going back to grad school. I hadn't taken the GRE's, when I decided, on short notice, to go back to school. They took me in provisionally - I took classes, but I was not in a degree program. After a year, they just relabelled me as a PhD candidate. I never did take the GREs. I don't think it was a special property of the scool I attended (Catholic University), rather, I think many scools will make exceptions. I didn't even have particularly good undergrad grades, though I had done some good research after getting my BS.

Njorl

Thanks Njorl

Thanks Njorl for your quick response.I am a grad student in physics and planning to do PhD next fall.I am looking for some PhD schools in coming years.I don't have time to prepare GRE exam.Thats why I am looking such schools who will waive GRE requirements.
Thanks,
Hom

You should have time at least to take the general GRE. That doesn't need a lot of prepartion, and having that is at least a lot better than having neither.

Since I went to the same school for college and grad school, they took me without even the General GRE. If you like your current school, you might want to look into that.

1. Can I get into a PhD program without taking the GRE?

Yes, there are many PhD programs that do not require the GRE for admission. Some universities have even made the GRE optional due to its limitations in predicting the success of a student in graduate school.

2. How can I find PhD programs that do not require the GRE?

You can research different universities and their specific requirements for PhD programs. Many universities will indicate on their website if they do not require the GRE for admission. You can also reach out to the admissions department of the university for more information.

3. Are there any disadvantages to applying to a PhD program without taking the GRE?

Some people may argue that not taking the GRE could potentially weaken your application. However, there are many other factors that are considered in the admissions process, such as your GPA, research experience, and letters of recommendation. Not taking the GRE does not necessarily put you at a disadvantage.

4. Do I still need to take the GRE for certain fields of study?

Some fields, such as engineering and physical sciences, may still require the GRE for admission. It is important to research the specific requirements of the PhD program you are interested in to determine if the GRE is necessary.

5. Can I submit other test scores, such as the GMAT or LSAT, in place of the GRE?

Some universities may accept alternative test scores in place of the GRE. However, it is important to check with the specific PhD program to see if they accept these scores and if they are a suitable substitute for the GRE.