Can a Decade Without Publications Impact a PhD Advisor's Role?

In summary, having a PhD advisor who hasn't published in a specific field for over a decade can be a problem for a graduate student. The role of an advisor is to guide and teach the student how to research, and having someone who is not familiar with the field may hinder the student's progress. While there are some rare cases where this arrangement may work, it is generally not recommended as social networking and collaboration are important in the scientific community. The lack of recent publications may indicate a weak network and could potentially cause difficulties for the student in the long run.

How much of a problem?

• No problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not ideal

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Very bad / try to avoid it

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
pivoxa15
How much of a problem is to have a Phd advisor who hasn't published anything in area/field A for over a decade where A is the field I like to do the Phd in?

Physics news on Phys.org
What year are you in?

I'm entering grad school so research is on the agenda. But not Phd right away. I'm just thinking about it now.

Last edited:
It depends completely on how you define a "field." The point of having an advisor is that s/he can help guide you for the first year or so and teach you "how to research." You probably won't be doing groundbreaking stuff to start with so it wouldn't matter that much, but later, when you do start properly researching, you need someone who is familiar with the sort of research you're doing, in order to help you. However, without an actual scenario, there is no way to answer the question.

Generally speaking, it is a bad idea.
There are, however, a few cases where it might work out. E.g. if you in reality will be working mostly with someone else who is active in the field but for some reason can't be a supervisor (e.g. a guest researcher, an experienced post-doc etc).
The main problem as I see it is that "social networking" is very important in science, being able to collaborate with scientists from other groups, universites etc can be crucial in some fields (and definately most fields in experimental physics).
If he/she hasn't been active in the field for a long time the risk is of course that he/she does not have a good network and that can cause serious problems for you in the end.

Why hasnt he published anything?

1. Can a decade without publications affect a PhD advisor's credibility?

Yes, a lack of recent publications can make it seem as though the advisor is not actively involved in their field and may not be up-to-date with current research and methods.

2. Will a lack of publications from my advisor impact my own research and career prospects?

It could potentially have a negative impact, as a PhD advisor's guidance and mentorship is crucial in shaping a student's research and career trajectory. However, there are many other factors that can influence a student's success, and it is ultimately up to the individual to take ownership of their own research and career development.

3. How can I determine if my advisor's lack of publications is due to their own shortcomings or other factors?

It is important to have open and honest communication with your advisor. Ask them about their research and publication plans, and inquire about any obstacles or challenges that may have prevented them from publishing in recent years. It is also helpful to look at their past publication record to see if there is a pattern of consistent publication or if there have been gaps in their publication history.

4. Is it common for PhD advisors to have periods of time without publications?

Yes, it is not uncommon for PhD advisors to have periods of time without publications, especially if they are heavily involved in teaching or other administrative duties. However, it is important for advisors to maintain an active presence in their field and continue to contribute to the scientific community through publications.

5. How can I support my advisor if they are struggling with publishing their research?

First, it is important to have empathy and understanding for your advisor's situation. Offer to assist with their research or provide feedback on their publications. Additionally, encourage them to seek out collaborations or attend conferences to stay engaged in their field. As a student, you can also offer to take on more responsibility in your own research to alleviate some of the pressure on your advisor.