1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Phd advisor?

1. No problem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not ideal

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Very bad / try to avoid it

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    How much of a problem is to have a Phd advisor who hasn't published anything in area/field A for over a decade where A is the field I like to do the Phd in?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What year are you in?

4. Nov 18, 2007 #3
    I'm entering grad school so research is on the agenda. But not Phd right away. I'm just thinking about it now.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It depends completely on how you define a "field." The point of having an advisor is that s/he can help guide you for the first year or so and teach you "how to research." You probably won't be doing groundbreaking stuff to start with so it wouldn't matter that much, but later, when you do start properly researching, you need someone who is familiar with the sort of research you're doing, in order to help you. However, without an actual scenario, there is no way to answer the question.

6. Nov 18, 2007 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Generally speaking, it is a bad idea.
    There are, however, a few cases where it might work out. E.g. if you in reality will be working mostly with someone else who is active in the field but for some reason can't be a supervisor (e.g. a guest researcher, an experienced post-doc etc).
    The main problem as I see it is that "social networking" is very important in science, being able to collaborate with scientists from other groups, universites etc can be crucial in some fields (and definitly most fields in experimental physics).
    If he/she hasn't been active in the field for a long time the risk is of course that he/she does not have a good network and that can cause serious problems for you in the end.

7. Nov 18, 2007 #6
    Why hasnt he published anything?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?