1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Phd and family

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    How much leave do phd scholars in physics get annualy?
    Is it it not possible to do research work at home,incase the student is ill and wants to be in his comfort zone during bad times?
    Btw if i choose a theoretical physics topic will i be free from learning computer related stuff
    with exception of latex and some simple plotting tools?
    Is the life of a phd student in theory easier then one who is into data analysis???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2
    get masters first.

4. Mar 29, 2009 #3
    Its an integrated programme starting in august.

5. Mar 29, 2009 #4
    Theorists generally do a lot of programming.

6. Mar 29, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Summers. Of course, if you don't work in the summer, you don't get paid in the summer.

Not for any extended period. The point of attending a university is to interact with other people, especially the faculty. If you don't do that, you aren't really doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Depends on the topic, but probably not. Also, this is a highly competitive field. It's not a very good idea to start accumulating a list of what you aren't willing to do.

There is no way to answer that question.

7. Mar 29, 2009 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you love your job, you'll do it all the time. You'll make allowances for family and social activities. I am primarily a theoretician and I spent all of my time on a computer programming and writing code. In this day and age, the number of analytic solutions are far and few between, you're gonna spend most of your time on a computer. For example, it took me a month to do all of the analytic work for my dissertation, 4 years to program it and write it up ensuring it was correct.

My wife and I had both of our kids while I was working on my PhD, we both worked, and had the time for going out with our friends every Friday night for pizza and beer. In addition to that I was in the Reserves and had that going for me, both money and time. I stayed home with my kids when they were sick and took them to the doctors. I stayed home and worked while I was sick.

Given those things, I figure it only added a year to my studies. I was not going to go after an academic position but straight to industry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook