PhD or Job Offer: Weighing the Pros and Cons for Recent Physics Graduates

• Programs
  • Thread starter Stickey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Phd
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's dilemma of choosing between a funded PhD position at their current university starting in October or a job offer in the US with a salary of $130k a year. They are concerned about job security and the possibility of getting another PhD position in the future if they choose the job offer. The conversation also includes different perspectives and opinions from others on the matter. Overall, the person is torn between the benefits of further education and the financial stability of a high-paying job.
Stickey
So, I've just graduated with an MPhys in the UK, with a decent 2:1. I have a funded [minimum EPSRC stipend, £13.5k] PhD position at my current university, that starts in October.

I also have a job offer in the US, to work in software. The pay is (what I would consider) pretty decent, $130k [£80k] a year.

Right now, I am swaying towards taking the PhD, because I'm worried that if the job falls through in 6-12 months time (they don't like me, or I don't like them), I'll be stuck with no job or education.

How likely is it that I would be able to get a PhD position again, either in 12 months, 2 years, 3 years? Are they going to prefer the physicists who have just come out of a masters, or will my experience count for something?

Physics news on Phys.org
A friend of mine finished his MSc in electrical engineering, he got a phd offer, but ahead of signing the contract he got an offer for a permanent position in some company, he ditched the phd offer and went for the job.

In his field, its always possible to go for a phd after some years.
This should also be possible in your case, but I doubt it would be the same prof or the same topic.

The way I would personally look at it is first by determining what I would like to do, to remain in the academia or to quit the academia and join the world of better pay.

I do find it rather tempting to go for a job than phd (I'm currently doing my MSc, sometime soon I would have to start my thesis, so my dilemma is to do an external industrial thesis or do a normal thesis at the uni).

Stickey said:
So, I've just graduated with an MPhys in the UK, with a decent 2:1. I have a funded [minimum EPSRC stipend, £13.5k] PhD position at my current university, that starts in October.

I also have a job offer in the US, to work in software. The pay is (what I would consider) pretty decent, $130k [£80k] a year.

Right now, I am swaying towards taking the PhD, because I'm worried that if the job falls through in 6-12 months time (they don't like me, or I don't like them), I'll be stuck with no job or education.

How likely is it that I would be able to get a PhD position again, either in 12 months, 2 years, 3 years? Are they going to prefer the physicists who have just come out of a masters, or will my experience count for something?

So, you have a job offer paying $130k and are worried about not finding another job and having "no education"? Wow! :cry:

Seems like if you were able to get a job offer for that sort of price tag, you are unlikely to have a problem finding a decent job in the future (though maybe not one with that sort of price tag). I am very unfamiliar with the UK, but in the US you will probably lose some competitiveness for a PhD program since you will have been out of physics for a little while (let's assume you give it a year). But your experience will likely serve you in research somehow.

In general, I think it is hard to make any generalizations about admissions. Especially about grad school admissions since part of it depends on who else has applied - something you cannot control.

Can you take a leave of absence from your school? Many universities inthe US allow for such a provision.

130k is more than pretty decent, it's incredible. I've never even heard of anyone making that much straight out of college. If you got offered that I don't think you will ever have employment problems, and you must already have a damn good education.

hi. 130k is a great salary to start with, though education should be your number one priority. It it your life's weapon, in case anything goes wrong with this world's uncertainties. But I wouldn't hesitate to take that offer, you never know when another one is going to knock again.

How did you manage to get a 130k job offer after an MPhys?

This is such a fake thread or bragging rights. 130k? Dude take the dam job! What's wrong with you? It's like saying I'm leaning towards getting paid almost nothing for a **** ton of work but the other option is i could be doing less work and earn 10x more than that. I'd slap you if you made the wrong decision.

What course and/or university did you graduate from??

1. What is the difference between a PhD and a job offer?

A PhD is an academic degree that is obtained after completing advanced research in a specific field of study. It typically takes 4-6 years to complete and focuses on developing advanced knowledge and skills in a particular area. A job offer, on the other hand, is a formal offer of employment from an organization or company. While a PhD can lead to various job opportunities, a job offer usually refers to a specific job role with a set salary and responsibilities.

2. Which one should I choose, a PhD or a job offer?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and career aspirations. If you are passionate about research and want to pursue a career in academia or in a research-based organization, a PhD may be the better option for you. However, if you are more interested in gaining practical experience and earning a stable income, a job offer may be the better choice.

3. Can I do a PhD while working a full-time job?

It is possible to do a PhD while working a full-time job, but it requires a significant amount of dedication, time-management skills, and support from your employer and academic institution. Some universities offer part-time PhD programs that may be more manageable for those who are working full-time.

4. Will having a PhD guarantee a higher salary?

Having a PhD may increase your chances of earning a higher salary, especially if you are working in a research-based industry or in academia. However, salary is also dependent on other factors such as experience, job role, and location.

5. What are the career prospects for PhD holders?

The career prospects for PhD holders vary depending on the field of study and job market. In general, PhD holders may have opportunities in academia, research and development, consulting, and other specialized roles. However, it is important to keep in mind that a PhD does not guarantee a job and other factors such as networking, experience, and skills also play a significant role in career prospects.