PhD blues

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
PhD students sometimes don't have much company :frown:
I know there are some here. Since GD forum is currently invaded by very serious subjects, I thought I ought to share the link :

http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/il/blues/ [Broken]

Common guys ! Cheer up. Only a few years remaining before unemployment :rofl: :mad: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:bugeye: the dutch version is good :biggrin: :rofl:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bravo !! Bravo !!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
LOL! I think I'll print out the lyrics and post them in the lab. :smile: Those of us in biological fields don't get quite as lonely...we always have our rats to talk to :biggrin:

Heh I think I sense an element of honest truth in those lyrics, and it may have sealed my fate as a permanent undergraduate :D

Join us in the endless rewardless quest of knowledge :devil:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
lol, I sent it to my friends. The dutch version really is better than the english one :tongue:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
LOL! I think I'll print out the lyrics and post them in the lab. :smile: Those of us in biological fields don't get quite as lonely...we always have our rats to talk to :biggrin:
Haven't you ever come across a physicist cursing his Cold Cathode Gauges (and then regretting it and begging for forgiveness - these things don't take too kindly to insult), or pleading with his Cryostat to behave ?

We talk to our rats...ooops, our kind and gentle equipment all the time. :approve:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
Haven't you ever come across a physicist cursing his Cold Cathode Gauges (and then regretting it and begging for forgiveness - these things don't take too kindly to insult), or pleading with his Cryostat to behave ?

We talk to our rats...ooops, our kind and gentle equipment all the time. :approve:
Oh, I plead with equipment too, but it's not the same as having live animals for company.

Physicists seem to put up with a lot more than biologists though. I visited one physicist whose office was in an underground bunker type building, and prominently posted on the door was a sign warning "target room." They had converted an old laser target room into offices, but only in the most minimal sense (in other words, they stuck a few desks and filing cabinets amidst the concrete barriers). I asked him if he thought it might be a warning of some sort when they put his desk in the middle of the target room. :biggrin: Then again, he was pretty weird. I think they had deprived him of human contact too long. His idea of a good first date was to show me his qualifying exam and tell me how easy it was, that even I could have solved the problems with the limited physics I had learned (I was never sure if that was a compliment or put-down)...needless to say, I decided we were better off as "just friends."

Evo
Mentor
humanino said:
PhD students sometimes don't have much company :frown:
I know there are some here. Since GD forum is currently invaded by very serious subjects, I thought I ought to share the link :

http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/il/blues/ [Broken]

Common guys ! Cheer up. Only a few years remaining before unemployment :rofl: :mad: :rofl:
You will always be in good company here. :approve:

That was great! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Monique said:
lol, I sent it to my friends. The dutch version really is better than the english one :tongue:
I'm listening to the Dutch version now, and I agree...even though I don't understand any of the words. You can tell it's the language the performers are more comfortable with, the Dutch version has a lot more feeling to the performance (and rhymes better too). I'll have to forward this on to my Dutch colleagues.

Moonbear said:
I was never sure if that was a compliment or put-down
It was a compliment :redface:

I did not commit that, I know them :grumpy:

Evo said:
You will always be in good company here.
Thank you Evo :smile:
That is why I first came here and called myself "humanino" : to stick to with as many human superpartner as possible. A fastidious physicist (sorry Marlon) will tell you, I should have called myself "shuman". I found it too indian :rofl:

[thread=42036]Superpartners[/thread]

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
humanino said:
It was a compliment :redface:

I did not commit that, I know them :grumpy:
Well, good to have that cleared up after all these years. Please, for everyone here who always asks for relationship advice, never resort to discussing qualifying exams on a first date, and more importantly, NEVER actually take out the questions and show them to your date, and NEVER NEVER EVER actually go through the solutions to the problems! :bugeye:

Something you have to learn to do in grad school...work hard and play hard! When you get the rare opportunity to take a day off and do something fun, go all out and have a huge party or take a crazy trip somewhere, just have fun!

Evo
Mentor
Moonbear said:
Please, for everyone here who always asks for relationship advice, never resort to discussing qualifying exams on a first date, and more importantly, NEVER actually take out the questions and show them to your date, and NEVER NEVER EVER actually go through the solutions to the problems! :bugeye:
Poor guy, someone probably gave him dating advice "just talk about something you know about and you'll do fine". :rofl: