Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD Comics Partnership

1. Jun 18, 2008 #1
    We have struck a partnership with PhD Comics! "Piled Higher and Deeper" (PhD) is the comic strip by Jorge Cham about life (or the lack thereof) in academia.

We will be featuring a forum in General Discussion called "PhD Comics" that will be updated with the newest comics strips. Furthermore you can see if a new comic is available by scanning the link list on the homepage under the sciam news.

In return PhD comics will feature a box on each of their comic pages on their website encouraging his readers to sign up and post their comments in the "PhD Comics" forum here at PF.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Cool! Those are pretty nice comics at times. I like a recent one when he graphs one's response time to the question "what do you do" against the length of time you've been in academia. I found myself in just that situation last weekend when my wife told my father and brother that a paper I had been working on for the last two years was accepted for publication. I tried to describe the motivation, methodology, etc, only to get puzzled/blank expressions in return.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. Jun 18, 2008 #3
    Sounds like a good way to get a bunch of grad students to learn about PF and get more knoweldge base around here.

5. Jun 18, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This comic strip is hilarious! I have been reading it for some time now, so having them posted on PF will really streamline my web browsing!

6. Jun 18, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: That sounds like material for another one...streamlining web browsing.

7. Jun 18, 2008 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's wonderful! I love PhD comics!

8. Jun 18, 2008 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Great idea, Greg.

9. Jun 18, 2008 #8
    Very nice, great comic!

10. Jun 18, 2008 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Something I heard to today - "The internet is meant to be fast."

11. Jun 18, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Test post + congrats to Greg on the scoop!

12. Jun 18, 2008 #11
  13. Jun 19, 2008 #12
    Could the strips be titled with all dates having two digits (06/09/2008 vs 06/9/2008)? That way if people sort by thread tite, the PhD strips would conveniently be sorted by date.

14. Jun 19, 2008 #13
    It's fed by an RSS feed, so no, sorry :)

15. Jun 20, 2008 #14
    Very nice combination.

Thanks.

16. Jun 20, 2008 #15
    I don't even get some of them!

17. Jun 21, 2008 #16

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is pretty cool. I love PHD Comics!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?