1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD completed abroad

  1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    If I finish my PhD in physics in Scandinavia, how are the job possibilities in the US if I move there? I mean how does the PhD finished in Scandinavia correspond to that PhD in the US. Are they equivalent?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2013 #2


    User Avatar

    A PhD is a PhD in any country. You can apply for any job in the US that requires that degree (or any job, really). But if it's for the US government, don't expect much, they usually require citizenship.
  4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    Yes, I have heard of that. How easy is it to get citizenship? Doesn't it require living in the US more than 5 yrs before getting citizenship?:frown:
  5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    5 years as an unconditional US permanent resident, yes.

    You could certainly apply for post-docs, the hosting institutions would work out a working visa for you. After that I'm not entirely sure how one becomes a perm resident as I've always been one, I believe you have some advantage if you're working in the US when you request it.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook