1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD funding versus Masters

Tags:
  1. Jul 12, 2015 #1
    Well to start, I am graduating next spring and I plan on attending graduate school immediately after for some concentration in atmospheric physics.

I am slightly unknowing of how the whole 'money' situation works in graduate school. For example you get accepted into a grad program as a PhD student and they pay for your tuition and then give you X amount for like a teaching assistant thing right (best case scenario).

Will they accept you and not offer pay for like a teaching spot? I also know they might not even fund your tuition.

The big question is do you get these benefits as a Masters student?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2015 #2
    PhD students tend to get more fellowships and assistantships than masters students.

4. Jul 13, 2015 #3
    Canada seems to be more lenient about masters funding but, then again, Canada has cut funding to atmosphere science. If you're interested in climate science (as a subfield of atmosphere science) then stay away from Canada!

European masters offer no funding whatsoever and there is not much possibility to bolster a research record.

But US programs most likely to fund masters often have no PhD programs to begin with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook