1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Phd graduate

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    I'm currently finishing my phd in astrophysics and ill be 28.5 yrs old when i do so. I'm now looking for a post-doc job and it seems to be difficult. I've attended top undergraduate and graduate schools but seem to have no offers or call-backs on my applications.I'm being told that younger phd graduates (with the same qualifications) are getting the jobs i want.

My question is, What is concidered the average age of someone getting their phd starting from high school (average age of 18)? Does age matter when trying to find a acedemic career, if so at what age does your chances diminish? Most graduates from the years 1900-1960 graduate at 24.5 but now that seems like an unlikely task unless you are gifted or have graduated high school earlier.

Any feedback is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2
    Just putting this out there, but it might be how your resume is presented that may be the root to you problem.

4. Jan 20, 2007 #3
    I'm not really seeing where you're coming up with this. As you undoubtedly well know, it takes most people about 5-7 years to get their astrophysics PhD (generally 5-6 years at the better schools) after finishing undergrad at 21-23, so you're hardly unusual. Besides, do you think that professors are actually looking at graduation years and estimating how old their applicants are?

I'm with Bitter...it's your CV/research statement/publishing history/recommendations you should be looking at. You also undoubtedly know that the school you graduate from, while important, won't save you with a poor research record, or a good research record that's presented poorly.

Or, you may just have stiff competition. But new jobs are being offered all the time, even if we're getting to the end of the main season...

5. Jan 20, 2007 #4
    Actually, because of your spelling of "programme" in this thread, I guess you're not in the US. So sure, it tends to take somewhat less time in most other places, but I've known several European and Asian postdocs in their late 20's and early 30's, so it doesn't seem to matter too much.

Though given that you said four months ago that you were looking for info on PhDs, I'm a little bemused as to how you're applying for postdocs now, but hey.

6. Jan 20, 2007 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Good catch! :rofl:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1095330#post1095330

7. Jan 20, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

your advisor should be able to answer this question much better than we can do.

try to: 1) do a good job on your thesis,

2) impress your advisor,

3) interview well,

4) have faith in yourself.

you will likely find a chance to prove yourself.

good luck.

8. Jan 21, 2007 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is certainly something fishy going on here. Let's just say that there better be a very good explanation for this from the OP.

Zz.

9. Jan 21, 2007 #8
    You can buy PhD's for a few hundred bucks from some dodgy websites. But you would have little (if any) research experience. So probably wouldn't recommend it.

But instead of slamming matt.harvard, he should get the benefit of the doubt.

10. Jan 21, 2007 #9

verty

Homework Helper

... says someone who 'probably wouldn't recommend' buying a PhD. <removed unnecessary comment>

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  11. Jan 21, 2007 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

silly me, i assumed he was getting a phd from harvard.

12. Jan 21, 2007 #11

verty

Homework Helper

Let's just say that some people don't share a love of the ideal.

13. Jan 22, 2007 #12

J77

matt.harvard - how many publications do you have? I'd say that was more a distinguishing part of getting to the interview stage, not the schools you've attended.

14. Jan 22, 2007 #13
    I was taking the piss ...

15. Jan 22, 2007 #14
    I understand the confusion that is being presented but I just can't understand what one would gain from pretending to be completing a PhD, if they in fact weren't and then ask questions about post-doc. Especially since most of you guys have PhD's or are working towards one.

Matt, where you at homie? Provide some clarity to this distorted situation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?