1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD guidance, high energy pheno or computational physics?

1. Jul 1, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am a student finishing up my master's degree, and I am in a bit of a dilema regarding what to do next, so I am posting here to see if I can get some input or advice.
    Basically, I have been offered a PhD position in particle phenomenology (so theory but quite close to LHC physics and experimental particle physics), however the more I think about it the more I am having second thoughts about going into that.
    I feel like the possibilities after my phd will be quite limited, because of the very high competition in high energy theory, and I am not sure how I feel about ending up in finance, IT or management consulting. I don't mean to say that there is anything wrong with those, but I think it would be a bit of a disappointment to end up in something completely unrelated to my studies after so much hard work.
    So now I am very seriously considering enrolling in a 1-year master in statistical physics and condensed matter theory, with the idea of moving towards computational condensed matter/statistical physics. I am however not completely sure wether the prospects in those fields are actually much better, or if I am just seeing greener grass on the other side...
    I am also wondering about prospects outside academia in those fields, the feeling I get is that once you leave the academic world it doesn't matter so much what you studied so in this sense I should just continue with my current phd position rather than waste a year to move to something else, and just leave academia after my degree if things don't work out for the best and I don't get a great postdoc in high energy theory.

Any input is appreciated,
    Cheers.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted