PhD: How important is it?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Pretty much what the thread name is asking. How important is a PhD for a career in Physics?

Also, are physicists employed in the solar or nuclear industries? What are the prospects of getting a job in these industries like, and is a PhD vital for these careers?

Thanks,
Justin.

Answers and Replies

Pretty much what the thread name is asking. How important is a PhD for a career in Physics?
For some positions, it's essential.

Also, are physicists employed in the solar or nuclear industries? What are the prospects of getting a job in these industries like, and is a PhD vital for these careers?
1) yes
2) it varies from year to year
3) Not really.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What are these positions that a PhD is essential for?

And

You said yes for 1)... Is it possible to give me some job titles/sections within these industries where physicist might be employed?

Thanks for your time,
Justin.

fss
Tenured faculty, for one. A lot of research positions at the national laboratories require a PhD, as well as some industry positions.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Thanks for the prompt reply.

And

You said yes for 1)... Is it possible to give me some job titles/sections within these industries where physicist might be employed?

Thanks for your time,
Justin.
I would suggest that you look at the job advertisement in, say, the APS Career website, and see for yourself the type of jobs that are advertised that requires at Ph.D.

Zz.