Can I Pursue a PhD in Physics with a Master's Degree in a Different Specialty?

• Programs
  • Thread starter GleefulNihilism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the person has a Masters in Physics but wants to switch to a PhD in Astrophysics. However, their current school does not have enough professors in that specialty, making the PhD program less valuable. They are wondering about the requirements for a PhD program when already having a Masters, and it may involve retaking coursework and passing a qualifying exam. It also depends on the country/institution and could vary from not being helpful to allowing the person to skip a year of coursework. The person is considering going to a different institution and should get a transcript of their Masters and ask if it is accepted. They should also try to speak with someone who knows, such as the department secretary, rather than just a professor.
GleefulNihilism
Right, here's a question.

The very short, possibly oversimplified version, is that I went to school to get a Masters in Physics then changed my mind- I want a PhD in Physics. The catch is that my school doesn't have enough professors of my particular specialty, Astrophysics, to give Physics PhD's that are worth the paper they are written on.

So I guess the first question is, what are the requirements for a PhD like when you already have a Masters in Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can apply to PhD programs with a masters. You'll probably have to retake some of the coursework, and pass a qualifying exam at most schools, before really starting to work on the PhD, but it won't take you as long to complete a PhD as it would to start over.

Depends on your country/institute
Could vary from: doesn't help at all to allow you to skip a year of coursework.

Sounds like you want to go to a different institution?
Get a transcript of your MS contents/marks and ask the other school if they accept it.
ps try and talk to somebody who actually knows - like the dept secretary not the prof.

1. Can I pursue a PhD if I already have a Master's degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD program even if you already have a Master's degree. In fact, having a Master's degree can be beneficial as it shows that you have already completed advanced coursework and have a strong foundation in your field of study.

2. Will my Master's degree be considered in the PhD admissions process?

Yes, your Master's degree will be considered in the PhD admissions process. Admissions committees will review your academic record, including your Master's degree, to determine if you have the necessary qualifications and background to succeed in a PhD program.

3. Will having a Master's degree shorten the length of my PhD program?

It depends on the program and your specific circumstances. Some PhD programs may allow you to transfer credits from your Master's degree, which could shorten the length of your program. However, this is not always the case and it ultimately depends on the policies of the specific program you are applying to.

4. Will I have an advantage over other applicants with only a Bachelor's degree?

Having a Master's degree may give you a slight advantage over other applicants with only a Bachelor's degree, as it shows that you have already completed advanced coursework and have a deeper understanding of your field of study. However, this is not the only factor that admissions committees consider, so it is important to have a strong overall application.

5. Can I switch fields for my PhD if I have a Master's degree in a different subject?

Yes, it is possible to switch fields for your PhD even if you have a Master's degree in a different subject. However, you may need to take additional coursework or demonstrate your knowledge in the new field before being admitted to a PhD program. It is important to carefully research the requirements of the program you are interested in and speak with an advisor to determine the best path for you.