PhD in Aerospace Engineering

• Programs
  • Thread starter bossmonkey
  • Start date
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I am currently working towards an MASc in Aerospace Engineering specializing in CFD of reacting flows (like in propulsion systems) at the University of Toronto in Canada.

I am considering applying for a PhD in Aerospace Engineering in the same topic but I want to do it elsewhere (nothing wrong with staying at the University of Toronto fyi, I just want the opportunity/excuse to travel).

I have been thinking about Stanford in the states and I was wondering if any of you had any advice regarding applying to Stanford or any general tips for applying for PhD programs in the states. What kinds of things can I do to make my application look better? Would it be worthwhile to do the GRE Physics test even if I intend to apply to the Engineering faculty?

Are there any other good schools around the world that are good for CFD research as applied to propulsion systems?

Thanks in advance!

Answers and Replies

Most schools in the US require you take the GREs but the Physics GRE is not worth it if you are applying for engineering. I can't speak for all departments but I know that my department does not care about your GREs but they are still required by the graduate school.

I don't know much about Stanford but I do know you should not just apply there because you probably won't get in. Nothing against you its just a hard school to get into even for the best.