Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PhD in Biology

1. Nov 29, 2003 #1
    [SOLVED] PhD in Biology

Okay, well I'm new to the forum and I'm a little confused about majoring in bio. My situation is that my family is kind of middle-classed, we do well I guess, have a house, my father only works, blah blah..

Now I wanna help my Dad with our expenses, but my main interests are Biology, Astronomy, Space Program and I one day want to become a Professor or work for NASA. Now as a major in biology/astronomy, I'd need a PhD to do what I wanna do.. the thing is and I relee hate thinking about it is how money will affect everything. What do PhD students do for money inbetween all that schooling? You're like 25 or so getting your PhD, I'm sure your parents want you to work for school cuz your PhD ain't going any faster. What can I possibly do in between? I wanna help my family cut down expenses and all, but also do what I want in life and not just think about money.

So what do PhD students especially in Biology or even any subject do in between for money? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2003 #2
    Ph.D. students are typically paid by the university as teaching or research assistants. They usually don't have to pay tuition, either, so it's just a straight salary. It's not very much money, but a Ph.D. student usually doesn't have the time to work a second job. If money is a problem, I'd advise working for a while before entering a graduate program.

4. Nov 29, 2003 #3
    But I heard they don't get paid enough or something like that. suppose it's ok, but I dunno..

5. Nov 29, 2003 #4
    Graduate students get paid enough to live on their own, covering the cost of rent, food, etc., but without much money left over.

6. Nov 29, 2003 #5

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There also bursaries and scholarship from the university, govermental agency and other association. Many graduate students apply for them.
    Also some university department have a minimun level of funding for their graduate student.

7. Nov 29, 2003 #6
    Here in Australia, PhD students are paid around $18000AUD ($13000US) tax free. Also, you are often expected to tutor undergraduate students which you are paid on top of this. Basically, its a full time job + more! (My sister is doing a PhD on cell signalling.. lucky her, while i'm way back in 1st year). You could try to sneak in a part time job, but forgoing time with family + friends could be a steap price to pay.

If you are living at home, the PhD scholarship is plenty to pay for expenses, its living away from home (RENT) where things really start to stretch... but this is purely from an Aussie point of view of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?