PhD in Germany vs USA: IIT Roorkee Physics Student

In summary, the consensus seems to be that a PhD in Germany is a more practical option than a PhD in the United States. However, this choice comes with a greater risk of not being able to complete the degree in a shorter amount of time. The choice also comes with the added benefit of having more time to take advantage of opportunities while learning as much as possible.
Dhanush Hanga;
I am a final year Masters student studying physics at IIT Roorkee, India. I have PhD admits in experimental high energy physics from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany and University of Illinois Chicago, USA. I have previously done an internship as an undergrad with a professor at KIT. Both the labs are working in collaboration with CMS. Which one should I choose and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
CMS is at CERN, so as a practical matter, it would be less of a hassle to travel between Karlsruhe and Geneva than between Chicago and Geneva.

In Germany you would not have to do coursework and could get finished with the PhD quicker.

cgk said:
In Germany you would not have to do coursework and could get finished with the PhD quicker.

But I think admission is much harder in general.

Thanks for the replies. I do not speak German, but that didn't seem like a problem when I was pursuing my internship. I know that I have to take up coursework in the US but it is worth it right?

No. USA is a terrible place to go to graduate school. There is no money here despite what people may tell you. Go to Germany.

If your admission letter says you will receive an assistantship or fellowship, there is money for you, despite what HuskyNamedNala will tell you.

Well, despite what Vanadium 50 will tell you, that fund might not cover your cost of living. A very good stipend is only 20 grand a year. And unless your contract gaurentees it for all 4 years, funding is on a semester by semester basis.

The point is, do your research carefully and ignore the hype.

HuskyNamedNala said:
Well, despite what Vanadium 50 will tell you, that fund might not cover your cost of living

I said nothing about this one way or the other - how could I, when I don't have the letter in front of me? Sticking words in my mouth is a cheap form of debate. Face it, you got caught exaggerating.

cgk said:

Would you not want to do some coursework...? o_O

Brian T said:
Would you not want to do some coursework...?

There seems to be a prevalent view that a PhD is a race, and the faster you get to the finish line, the better. I don't understand this - the point is to take advantage of the opportunities and learn what you can. You will, of course, be continually learning throughout your career, but this becomes harder and harder the farther you go, as you will have less and less time.

Likes Brian T
Vanadium 50 said:
There seems to be a prevalent view that a PhD is a race, and the faster you get to the finish line, the better. I don't understand this - the point is to take advantage of the opportunities and learn what you can. You will, of course, be continually learning throughout your career, but this becomes harder and harder the farther you go, as you will have less and less time.

Treating the PhD as a race seems rather prevalent in Europe, especially in Germany.

Perhaps European job markets value time-to-degree more than US job markets...

Isn't it something like bachelor's degree in 3 years, master's degree in 2 years and then a PhD in 3 years ?

I think that's the main road to get a PhD in Europe. We don't have undergraduate for 4 years and then master+PhD for 4-5 years. Unless I am wrong, one needs to have a master's degree to start a PhD.

andreyw said:
Unless I am wrong, one needs to have a master's degree to start a PhD.
You are correct. And Dhanush explicitly stated that he/she is going to obtain a master's, soon.

Timo said:
You are correct. And Dhanush explicitly stated that he/she is going to obtain a master's, soon.

I've heard differently. My Geophysics teacher got her PHD without obtaining a masters. She kinda 'did them both together' and got a complimentary masters.

Thread starter, if you decide to go to UIC in Chicago, then I'd love to meet you and perhaps have you help me on my journey! But the PhD to Germany does sound like a nice option based on other people's post here.

Vanadium 50 said:

Well if you can get the degree in 3 years vs 6-8 years I think the 3 years is a much better option when the degree is what will allow you to start actually working instead of stuck in a PhD program without a clear way out.

Vanadium 50 said:
I said nothing about this one way or the other - how could I, when I don't have the letter in front of me? Sticking words in my mouth is a cheap form of debate. Face it, you got caught exaggerating.

No, this is simple. By stating:

"If your admission letter says you will receive an assistantship or fellowship, there is money for you"

You leave out a very important caveat that the funding might not be enough or may come with stipulations that require you to reapply every semester. In Germany and other more developed nations, students don't have to worry about these things. I'm not even going to go into the probability of obtaining a good assistantship (one that doesn't require you to teach for an intrusive amount of hours, fully waives tuition, and provides a stipend of at least $700/week) or a fellowship that pays a reasonable wage. It drives me crazy when academics give blatantly bad advice to aspiring graduate students, yet wonder why the dropout rate is about 50% for American PhD programs. You can be the best student and most brilliant researcher, but if you can't afford food you what's the point? Here is a quote from the Economist

Proponents of the PhD argue that it is worthwhile even if it does not lead to permanent academic employment. Not every student embarks on a PhD wanting a university career and many move successfully into private-sector jobs in, for instance, industrial research. That is true; but drop-out rates suggest that many students become dispirited. In America only 57% of doctoral students will have a PhD ten years after their first date of enrolment. In the humanities, where most students pay for their own PhDs, the figure is 49%. Worse still, whereas in other subject areas students tend to jump ship in the early years, in the humanities they cling like limpets before eventually falling off. And these students started out as the academic cream of the nation. Research at one American university found that those who finish are no cleverer than those who do not. Poor supervision, bad job prospects or lack of money cause them to run out of steam.

http://www.economist.com/node/17723223Now don't get me wrong, I am all for higher education. I love learning, but I don't think the OP would make a wise move going to graduate school in the USA.

Brian T said:
Would you not want to do some coursework...? o_O
You can take courses in Germany (whatever the university has, not limited to physics), but you don't have to. I don't know where the CMS group in Karlsruhe is - if they are in "Campus Nord" (my guess), that is a bit away from Karlsruhe and its university.
Dhanush Hanga; said:
I do not speak German, but that didn't seem like a problem when I was pursuing my internship.
Expect some German paperwork if you want to live in Germany for a few years, but that's not a real problem.

HuskyNamedNala said:
but if you can't afford food you what's the point?

Good heavens. More exaggeration. If you google " " the first one that comes up is Cornell, with a minimum 12-month stipend of $29,210. Nobody is starving on that - or even going on food stamps. Is it lavish? No. But "can't afford food" is just making stuff up.

Vanadium, you don't act much like a moderator for someone who is supposed to be in a position of authority on this site.

Closed for moderation. EDIT: this will remain closed. The OP has been answered and now we are just degenerating into a likely flame war.

Last edited:

1. What are the main differences between pursuing a PhD in Germany vs USA?

The main difference between pursuing a PhD in Germany and USA is the structure and length of the program. In Germany, a PhD typically takes 3-4 years and is focused on independent research, while in the USA, it can take 5-7 years and includes coursework and exams in addition to research. Additionally, in Germany, PhD students are considered employees and receive a salary, while in the USA, they are often supported through grants or teaching assistantships.

2. How do the research opportunities compare between IIT Roorkee, Germany, and USA?

IIT Roorkee, Germany, and USA all offer excellent research opportunities for PhD students. However, the focus of research may differ. In IIT Roorkee, the research may be more focused on local or national issues, while in Germany and USA, the research may have a more global perspective. Additionally, the resources and facilities available for research may vary between institutions.

3. What are the funding options for PhD programs in Germany vs USA?

In Germany, PhD students are typically employed by the university and receive a salary, along with benefits such as health insurance. In the USA, PhD students may be supported through grants, teaching or research assistantships, or fellowships. It is important to research the specific funding options available at each institution and program.

4. How do the academic cultures differ between IIT Roorkee, Germany, and USA?

The academic cultures in IIT Roorkee, Germany, and USA may differ in terms of teaching styles, expectations for students, and relationships between students and professors. In IIT Roorkee, the focus may be more on rote learning and exams, while in Germany and USA, there may be a greater emphasis on critical thinking and independent research. Additionally, the relationship between students and professors may be more formal in Germany and USA compared to IIT Roorkee.

5. What are the career prospects after completing a PhD in Germany vs USA?

Both Germany and USA have strong job markets for PhD holders. In Germany, there is a high demand for PhD graduates in both academia and industry. In the USA, PhD graduates have a wide range of career options in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and industry. Ultimately, the career prospects may depend on the individual's research area and the connections they make during their PhD program.