PhD in HEP vs PhD Cosmology&GR

• Programs
  • Thread starter CharlieCW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hep Phd
In summary: Physics research is very interdisciplinary so you might not find a specific job if you only specialize in one field.In summary, the field of HEP phenomenology or experiments might be a better option for your career in the academia, but GR&Cosmology has a strong group at your university and has a good prospect of finding a job in the future.
CharlieCW
Hello there. I just finished my Bsc. in Engineering Physics+M.eng and I'm about to enter my Msc in Physics (no direct PhD in my country), so I'm choosing which electives to take on my first semester (as my professors suggested me to skip most of the basics).

While I entered with the idea to study theoretical particle physics, after speaking with several members and conducting some research on statistics and job prospects, I'm a bit afraid it would be very difficult to land an academic position given how saturared the market is. Therefore, I was thinking to switch towards phenomenology or experimental particle physics, given my strong background in computing and engineering.

However, I was also looking at some topics in GR and Cosmology and found them still very interesting, particularly the approaches to alternative theories of gravity*. I don't know if this could be a better idea regarding PhD/postdoc opportunities than HEP phenomenology or both options are roughly the same (in which case I would prefer HEP).

I have looked at job prospects for HEP pheno and Cosmo&GR and they seem to be roughly the same for the moment, but this could change in 5-6 years after I finish my PhD. Could you give me some advice here?*PS: Funny fact, I went to college wanting to study GR but since it wasn't available in my faculty I slowly gravitated towards HEP (in my country there's no support to study away from your hometown).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there. I'm starting my Msc in Physics and I was thinking about which electives to take to start focusing on my research career (as I would like to keep working in the same area for my PhD).

I was very interested in working in HEP phenomenology or experiments, as I'm very passionate about the recent problems such as BSM, CP violation, and baryogenesis.

However, I also became a bit curious about the field of GR&Cosmology, since there's also a strong group in Gravity&Field Theory at my university.

Which one do you think has the better prospects in finding a postdoc and potentially a job in the academia or something related to science? From my research on the web, the opportunities for both careers (as long as they aren't pure theory) are roughly similar, but I'm aware this could change in 5-6 years after finishing my PhD.

I'm also aware that, despite all my efforts, I may or may not land a job in the academia, so I'm planning in any case to develop strong computing skills during my research.

I merged your two threads as they are basically the same topic.

Job prospects in academia are not good in any field. Just think of how many PhD students a senior staff member will have in their life - while opening only one position when they retire. Most PhD students go elsewhere afterwards. That is fine - just be prepared to do so. Experience with programming, electronics, data analysis, ... can be useful in "the industry" as well, and general problem solving skills are very valuable (but hard to show in a CV). What you do depends more on the specific position than on the field of science.
The unemployment rate for physicists is very low but you might have to look into more different types of jobs than e.g. a chemist would.

What is the difference between a PhD in High Energy Physics (HEP) and a PhD in Cosmology and General Relativity (Cosmology&GR)?

The main difference between a PhD in HEP and a PhD in Cosmology&GR is the focus of research. HEP involves studying the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe, while Cosmology&GR focuses on the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. However, there is often overlap between the two fields and many researchers work in both areas.

Which field offers more job opportunities after completing a PhD?

This largely depends on the current job market and the specific research interests of the individual. Both HEP and Cosmology&GR are highly specialized fields and may require further postdoctoral training or a combination of skills in order to secure a job. It is important to research the current job market and network with professionals in both fields to determine the best opportunities for employment.

How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in HEP or Cosmology&GR?

Both PhD programs typically take around 4-6 years to complete, depending on the individual's research progress and the specific requirements of the program. It is important to note that both fields require a strong background in mathematics and physics, so additional coursework may be necessary for those without a strong foundation in these subjects.

What kind of research can be conducted during a PhD in HEP or Cosmology&GR?

During a PhD in HEP, research may involve studying particle collisions and interactions using large particle accelerators or analyzing data from experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider. In Cosmology&GR, research may involve using telescopes and other instruments to study the large-scale structure of the universe, as well as developing and testing theories of gravity and the nature of space and time.

Can a PhD in HEP or Cosmology&GR lead to a career outside of academia?

Yes, a PhD in HEP or Cosmology&GR can lead to a variety of career opportunities outside of academia. Many graduates go on to work in research and development positions in industries such as technology, aerospace, and defense. Other career options may include science communication, science policy, and consulting.