PhD in Optics - for choosing colleges

• Schools
  • Thread starter Samu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics Phd
In summary, the speaker is an Erasmus Master student currently completing their master's thesis at Carl Zeiss in Germany in the field of Optical Metrology. They have spent their first year of study at Imperial College, London and are now looking to start their PhD early next year. The speaker is interested in various fields of optics, including optical metrology, optical design and programming, and optics in arts and architecture. They are seeking advice on the prospects of these fields and the relevant universities or companies actively working in them, as they are not interested in pursuing academia after their PhD.
Samu
Hi all!

I am a Erasmus Master student in Germany (FSU Jena) and doing my master thesis at Carl Zeiss in the field of Optical Metrology - specifically on surface characterization and scatterometry. I spent the first yr of my masters course at Imperial College, London and doing my second yr in Germany.

I hope to finish by the end of this year and would like to start my PhD early next year. The dilemma is to first decide a field of specialization and then the colleges. I have a lot of interest in the following fields of optics:

1. Optical metrology - for obvious reasons , since it is my current field of work and also matches with my background (I have a bachelors in Instrumentation engineering)
2. Optical design and programming using Zemax (esp. diffractive optics) - I have an equal experience in this field (~6 months) as well as some formal training in ZEMAX
3. Optics in Arts and Architecture - mainly the use of lasers for cleaning and restoration. I am very inclined towards arts and hence, this interest. However, I am not sure about the extent of research possible in this sub-field.

I would highly appreciate it if anyone could tell me the prospects of these fields with respect to the industrial research, since I am not very interested in joining the academia after my PhD. Which of these fields has more scope for research as well as demand in the industry? And it would be even better if you could tell me the relevant universities (US, UK, Europe, anywhere!) or companies working in those fields actively!

Thanks so much for your time and help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Bounce!

What is a PhD in Optics?

A PhD in Optics is a doctoral degree program that focuses on the study of light and its properties, as well as its applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, medicine, and telecommunications.

What are the prerequisites for a PhD in Optics?

To pursue a PhD in Optics, one must have a bachelor's and master's degree in a related field such as physics, engineering, or mathematics. Strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as a background in optics and photonics, are also important.

What are some top colleges for pursuing a PhD in Optics?

Some top colleges for pursuing a PhD in Optics include the University of Arizona, University of Rochester, University of Central Florida, University of California, Berkeley, and University of Michigan.

What are the career opportunities after completing a PhD in Optics?

With a PhD in Optics, one can pursue a career in research and development, academia, or industry. Some specific job roles may include optical engineer, laser physicist, photonics researcher, or professor.

How long does it take to complete a PhD in Optics?

The duration of a PhD in Optics program can vary, but it typically takes 4-5 years to complete. This may also depend on factors such as the student's research topic, funding availability, and individual progress.