Is this person's claimed PhD in Physics verifiable?

• Programs
  • Thread starter philosiphun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to verify if someone actually has a PhD in Physics and whether this information is usually kept confidential. The options mentioned include checking the university's library website for the person's thesis, accessing a database of dissertations, and contacting the department head. It is also suggested to ask detailed questions about the person's college experience or to test their knowledge in the subject to determine if they are truly a PhD holder. The conversation ends with a question about who the person in question is.
philosiphun
Someone told me they have a PhD in Physics and I went to the school's website where they supposedly graduated(years ago) but cannot verify they even went to the school.(I also cannot find any works by them at all on the internet) Is this info usually kept confidential or should I be able to verify somehow this person actually has a PhD in Physics? Can anyone say, yes I have a PhD in Physics (or whatever subject) and no one be able to verify it either way? I've never really thought about it until I actually tried checking out this person's background...now I'm intrigued.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can usually simply contact the school's administration and verify these things.

philosiphun said:
Is this info usually kept confidential or should I be able to verify somehow this person actually has a PhD in Physics?

Go to the university's library webpage and type the person's name as author into the catalogue. Almost every university library has copies of Ph.D. theses produced at the university.

For example, "[URL Feynman[/URL] at Princeton.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones said:
Go to the university's library webpage and type the person's name as author into the catalogue. Almost every university library has copies of Ph.D. theses produced at the university.

For example, "[URL Feynman[/URL] at Princeton.

When i click on that link, i get a "There is no bib data attached to this record" message.

marlon

If he/she graduated fairly recently, you could try the http://www.archive.org/index.php" .

Paden Roder

calling/emailing the department head would probably be the easiest thing to do

The point of a Ph.D. is to have a verifiable way to announce to the world "See, I've jumped through these flaming hoops!" The ability to check a credential's validity with the granting institution is the key to the entire system...

Pester them about many fine details of their college learning experience like what classes they took and whatnot, then see how sure they are about their answers and whether they are hesitant.

Or ask a teacher for a college level physics problem and ask your PhD friend to explain the answer. IF they totally blow you off or seem lost, its likely they are lying.

Who are you doubting about on this. Is it a teacher?

1. What is a PhD in Physics?

A PhD in Physics, or Doctor of Philosophy in Physics, is an advanced degree that involves rigorous research and study in the field of physics. It typically takes 4-6 years to complete and requires a dissertation or thesis based on original research.

2. How do I know if a PhD in Physics is verifiable?

A PhD in Physics is considered verifiable if it is awarded by an accredited university or institution. You can verify this information by checking the institution's official website or contacting their admissions or registrar's office.

3. Can I verify a PhD in Physics from an online or distance learning program?

Yes, as long as the online or distance learning program is accredited and the degree is awarded by a reputable institution, the PhD in Physics is considered verifiable. However, it is important to research the program and institution thoroughly before enrolling.

4. What are the benefits of obtaining a verifiable PhD in Physics?

A verifiable PhD in Physics can open up various career opportunities in research, academia, and industry. It also demonstrates a high level of expertise in the field and can lead to higher salaries and job advancements.

5. How can I ensure that my PhD in Physics is verifiable?

To ensure that your PhD in Physics is verifiable, make sure to obtain it from an accredited institution and keep all relevant documentation, such as transcripts and diploma, in a safe place. You can also periodically check the institution's website for updates and changes in their accreditation status.