Phd in pure maths and theoretical physics

In summary: Milosevic, a mathematician with a PhD in mathematics from the University of Cambridge, has recently started doing theoretical physics, and he has said that it is a very compatible field with his previous work in mathematics. He has stated that it is very difficult to achieve a PhD in theoretical physics and mathematics at the same time, but with hard work and dedication, it is possible.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
im just wondering if there are such excellent grad students or soemone who already did accomplish getting a phd degree in pure maths and a phd in theoretical physics? (or are you familiar to such people?).

i think this is insane even to think about it, let alone really doing it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there is mathematical physics - but that's more like applied mathematics.

Human knowledge has advanced to the point where it would be pretty difficult to contribute substantially to both of those fields. In the 19th century you had people like Gauss, Lagrange, etc.who were both brilliant mathematicans and physicists, but I can't think of anyone like that in the 20th century - Einstein might come close although a lot of his formulation of GR was based on work by Minkowski. To my knowledge no one has won both the Fields Medal(considered to be the highest award in Mathematics) and the Nobel Prize in Physics.

Nowadays, it seems scientists and even mathematicians are starting to do more of their important work later in their careers, which makes it even harder to be a switch hitter. Once you have a PhD in a hard science field or Mathematics, you don't get a second one, unless its "honorary". If you are a mathematican who wants to start doing theoretical physics, for instance, you just start working. I know someone who has a doctorate in math who is doing biology(bioinformatics though - not experimental).

the two fields you mention are the two most compatable fiels to do this. Quantum Mechanics and Relativity both rely on a lot of theoretical math, so schientists who com out with PHd's in these fields usuall can scoop up a PH'd in Mathematics with a bit of hard work. On the other hand, the opposite is not true, theoretical physics takes a lot more work to achieve the concept. Today, this combination is not seen because if youre a theoretical physicist, you want to focus on research in the field you love, and the same goes for math PHd's.

Regards,

Nenad

1. What is the difference between a Phd in pure maths and theoretical physics?

A Phd in pure maths focuses on the study of abstract mathematical concepts and theories, while a Phd in theoretical physics involves the application of mathematical principles to understand and explain physical phenomena.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a Phd in pure maths and theoretical physics?

Graduates with a Phd in pure maths and theoretical physics can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and the private sector. They may work as mathematicians, physicists, data scientists, or in fields such as finance, engineering, and computer science.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a Phd in pure maths and theoretical physics?

The length of a Phd program can vary depending on the institution and the individual's progress, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and the writing and defense of a dissertation.

4. What skills are necessary for success in a Phd program in pure maths and theoretical physics?

Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills are essential for success in a Phd program in pure maths and theoretical physics. A strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science is also necessary, as well as the ability to conduct independent research and communicate findings effectively.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area within pure maths and theoretical physics during my Phd program?

Yes, most Phd programs allow students to specialize in a specific area within pure maths and theoretical physics, such as algebra, geometry, quantum mechanics, or cosmology. It is important to research and choose a program that aligns with your interests and career goals.