Programs PhD in quantum computing?

1. Hi

Does anyone know which universities in england and US do post graduate study in Quantum Computing?

Raj

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

I dont believe quantum computing is really a 'subject'. Its like... think of it this way

You have airplanes. Theres no major called "Airplane making" but you do have subjects such as physics, aerodynamics, materials science, electrical engineering. Thus, for quantum computing i think all you have is again, subjects like physics, electrical engineering, computer science, etc. and not something called "quantum computing". But i could be wrong.

4. I don't think the OP was asking whether it was a major. I think he was asking more about what schools offers PhD's, say in physics, where your research is quantum computing.

Caltech has a couple physics profs doing quantum computing. John Preskill is one. I would look at quantum computing papers online (search via google) and find out which universities the authors are at.

5. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Ohh... well then does it even matter? Coudlnt you just do your thesis on whatever you really want as long as its related to the major?

6. Yeah Juvenal that is what I meant. I've heard of J. Preskill.. his online lecture notes helped me a lot with my project on Q.C... Caltech is an option but I've heard it's so hard to get into and expensive especially for an international student :(

7. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

http://www.gradoffice.caltech.edu/financial/est_budget.htm

But you can get a lot of TAships or RA's and fellowships to help out. Plus you can get a loan... and hell, come out of Caltech with a phd and that loan can be a million bucks and you'll still pay it off within a decade! or well... slight exageration but you get the point.

8. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,555
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

YES BUT- it would certainly help to have professors who are knowledgable in and have done research themselves in that particular area!

Seems to me the best way to answer that question is to look at journal articles in the area and see where the authors are.

9. Pengwuino,

Yeah I checked that page out earlier - it's their maximum projected budget so considering it's caltech it's not too bad if you manage to get funding.. I'm not too familiar with the system you guys have there, how easy is it to get in?

10. It's not easy to get into, especially if you're applying as a theorist.

But Pengwuino is right. Physics grad students in the United States typically get fellowships (either teaching or research) and that means that tuition is paid for, and at Caltech you receive a stipend that is somewhere over 20K a year - enough to live on for a single person. I don't think there is a PhD candidate at Caltech who is not funded.

11. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Ever hear of the old bible verse of 'its harder for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle then it is for a rich man to get into heaven"? Well... you have a camels chance of passing through the needle lol. Just kidding though... but its incredibly hard. Perfect scores are a must, national recognition for things is needed... only a few hundred get in each year to the undergrad program alone so grad school is... woo, you understand..

12. You need an professor to be your thesis adviser, and it's very hard to find one to do so if you decide to strike off on your own area of research. A professor wants grad students to work on topics that actually interest that prof.

13. Haha ok, thanks for the rude awakening.. I guess I'll look at other options

Oh yeah, I'm hindu I don't read the bible :p

14. That would mean you read the Gita?

15. My sister does, I'm not that religious at this point in my life.. maybe one day when I'm not spending 13 hrs a day studying :D

16. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

This is directly from the Cal Tech site:

In short, you needn't worry about funding, should you manage to be admitted. Most US universities (especially privates) do the same with regard to graduate programs in the natural sciences.

By the way, here's the link to the entire FAQ page for applicants:

http://www.pma.caltech.edu/GSR/faqapplnt.html

17. Excellent thanks

18. cronxeh

cronxeh 1,232
    Gold Member

You dont need people to chew the knowledge for you and put it in your mouth.

Go to the library and dig into it. Start with the solid foundation - there are about 3 dozen topics that you must know before you think of getting into the quantum computing part. Off the top of my head you need:

Math
    -Linear, Differential Equations, Partial Diff, Discrete, Statistics, Probablities, Multivariable (Vector analysis), Conformal mappings, Complex analysis, Topology

Physics
    -E&M, Quantum, Statistical mechanics, Nuclear/Modern, lots of labs and knowledge of equipment

Computer Science
    -objected oriented programming, combinatorial optimization, computational geometry, data structures, algorithm design - preferrably in C/C++, Visual, or .NET

Electrical Engineering
    -Circuits, Analog & Digital processing, EM fields, plasmas, fusions, VLSI, sensors, solid states, lines, fields, guided waves, nonlinear analysis, nonlinear optics, em diffraction & radiation, coherent optics, holography, estimation theory, chaos theory

You can go to any big university and major in either Physics, CS, EE, or Math and after you've spent 2 years in your basic classes covering aforementioned stuff, you can do your own research on Quantum computing. You wont be the guy that invented first ever quantum computer - so dont get your hopes up. However you might be one of the many guys who will work on hard algorithm and problems, optimizing and integrating new methods.

19. Your post gave the impression that you think I've never looked into Q.C before?? I spent 10 weeks on a project about the subject which involved learning new maths in order to understand the various algorithms etc.. Everything you mentioned there I've done before though I only know perl/vb/fortran mainly but I can pick up C/C++

I've already looked into which universities offer QIS courses... I just want to get an impression of which schools are among the elite as I don't live in the U.S and don't have much experience of them.. Hope that makes things a little clearer

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  20. cronxeh

cronxeh 1,232
    Gold Member

No it wasnt aimed at OP - matter of fact I forgot who original OP was. But rather to the concept that you need some specific college or university (CalTech particularly) and some particular people to be able to advance forward. In this age of information you can be "with" a researcher through his publications and e-mail half a world away.

Among the elite? Well whoever has the funds is 'elite' even if they dont have the profs. You'll need expensive equipment to run these tests and fabricate. You can find top schools here: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php Obvious choices are UC*, Stanford, Caltech, MIT, Harvard, Columbia, *SNIP*

There is another option. You can look into Canadian schools - some are great and very affordable. If you dont live in US, some other countries are easier to get into - you might as well save yourself the headache of INS

21. There's an excellent website, www.qubit.org, that should answer the original posted question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?