Help Needed: Seeking a PhD in the UK - Italian Physics Student

In summary: I mean for the application. I want to know if I have to wait one year after the degree or something like that.The application deadline is January 2020.
cuppls
Hi everyone!
I'm an physics italian student, and I was looking for a phd in the UK.
I hope that someone of you can help me to understand the procedure to follow.
I expect to graduate in July-September 2019, and I would to know if i have to had already the title for apply for a phd which start on September-October 2019 (the deadline is in January 2019 if I understood correctly). My question is: I have to wait one year (because I can apply only in January 2020) after my degree for start a phd ?
And the second question is about the scholarship, I have to make a request for scholarship before the deadline for the application for phd?
I apologize for my english, I have to improve it!
I hope you understand my question. Thanks you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can apply any time of year. Some PhD courses you can also choose when to start (January, May or September). If you don't have your results yet I think they will make you a conditional offer. Most universities have information on their web site. Example..

http://m.sussex.ac.uk/study/phd/apply

CWatters said:
I think you can apply any time of year. Some PhD courses you can also choose when to start (January, May or September). If you don't have your results yet I think they will make you a conditional offer. Most universities have information on their web site. Example..

http://m.sussex.ac.uk/study/phd/apply
Thanks for you reply.
I had seen only the universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial college of London and these universities have a deadline for phd, and you can't apply any time, if I understood correctly.
My problem is that I don't find the information that I want in the sites of these universities, so anyone have information about oxford, cambridge etc?

Thanks, I will try! :smile:

cuppls said:
Thanks for you reply.
I had seen only the universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial college of London and these universities have a deadline for phd, and you can't apply any time, if I understood correctly.
My problem is that I don't find the information that I want in the sites of these universities, so anyone have information about oxford, cambridge etc?
I do not have the answers for you. I did take a look at the Oxford website. It is difficult to navigate and find the information you need. But it is there (though not in one place). If you cannot find the information you need on the university websites, I would contact the universities directly, rather than posting on a forum. The universities themselves will have the up-to-date, accurate, and (most importantly) authoritative information.

Likes ahzassociates
CrysPhys said:
If you cannot find the information you need [...] I would contact the universities directly, rather than posting on a forum. The universities themselves will have the up-to-date, accurate, and (most importantly) authoritative information.
This reasoning applies to everything, even for a doubt in some teachings, is definitely better ask questions to a professor rather than posting on a forum. So, what are the forums for?
If someone has had esperiences in these universities is helpful for me, I can ask him advice in informal way even for other things related on the questions that I asked above, reply faster and, why not, make friends on the forum :wink:

cuppls said:
This reasoning applies to everything, even for a doubt in some teachings, is definitely better ask questions to a professor rather than posting on a forum. So, what are the forums for?
If someone has had esperiences in these universities is helpful for me, I can ask him advice in informal way even for other things related on the questions that I asked above, reply faster and, why not, make friends on the forum :wink:
The same reasoning does not apply to everything. Depends on the information you are seeking. In this instance, you asked for very specific objective information: What is the deadline for applying at X University? Suppose the deadline has been changed recently (say, moved up from Mar 1 to Feb 1) ... the university representative would know that; but students who previously applied most likely wouldn't, and they would post the incorrect date, which could cause you to miss the deadline.

Likes cuppls
CrysPhys said:
The same reasoning does not apply to everything. Depends on the information you are seeking. In this instance, you asked for very specific objective information: What is the deadline for applying at X University? Suppose the deadline has been changed recently (say, moved up from Mar 1 to Feb 1) ... the university representative would know that; but students who previously applied most likely wouldn't, and they would post the incorrect date, which could cause you to miss the deadline.

Ok probably I said that badly. I don't want know what is the deadline for the university of Oxford (for example). I asked if before the deadline, whatever it is, i have to had the degree or if I can apply without the degree, and since in the 3-4 universities that I saw i found that there is the deadline, I thought that it works in this way in all the UK.
But cWatters say me
CWatters said:

and I found the first useful information: not any universities in the UK have the deadline for apply a phd (in Italy for example the deadline there is always).

Anyway, you're right probably is a very specific request, but in any case I thought that maybe someone in this forum can help me.
Obviously I will write also at the university that I am interested in, this thread is the first way for me to 'test the ground'..

There is not single answer to this question. It very much depends on what type of PhD you are looking for.

I have written about this before so this is just is just a short summary,.

There are -essentially- currently two parallel systems in the UK. One is the CDT (Centre for Doctoral Training) system which is somewhat similar to the graduate school system in the USA. A university (or a group of universities) can host one or more CDTss on a variety of topics (large universities like Oxford will have many different CDTs)
These are 4-years long the 1st year being courses etc; you then pick a your PhD project which is 3 years.
CDTs will have specific deadlines for application (typically once a year).

The other system which is the older way of doing it (and is becoming more rare) is that you apply directly to do a PhD in specific group (i.e. you apply to the person who would then be your supervisor). This is a much less formalized system. The PhD would typically take 3-4 years (3.5 is quite common) and you start working on your research project on day one (but might also take a few courses). Depending on the university there may or may not be specific rules about who can apply; but it is really up to the supervisor to pick the candidate.
There is no centralised system for this so he best way to find a position is to look at the websites of groups working in the area you are interested in (the central websites of universities are useful, you have to look at the webpages of the group). That said, some people will advertise for students on websites like findaphd.com. There are no deadlines as such; although most ads will be out in summer since this is when suitable candidates tend to be available.

Last edited:
Likes cuppls
Thanks for you reply! This clarify a bit my ideas..you know something about scholarships? There is a deadline for make request for this?

1. What qualifications do I need to apply for a PhD program in the UK as an Italian physics student?

To apply for a PhD program in the UK as an Italian physics student, you will typically need a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (such as physics, engineering, or mathematics) and a Master's degree in a related subject. It is also important to have a strong academic record and research experience.

2. What is the application process for a PhD program in the UK?

The application process for a PhD program in the UK typically involves submitting an online application, which includes your academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal. Some universities may also require you to take an entrance exam or attend an interview.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD program in the UK?

The duration of a PhD program in the UK can vary, but it typically takes around 3-4 years to complete. However, some students may take longer if their research requires more time or if they are studying part-time.

4. Can I receive funding for a PhD program in the UK as an international student?

Yes, there are funding opportunities available for international students pursuing a PhD in the UK. These may include scholarships, grants, or research assistantships offered by universities or external organizations. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early on in the application process.

5. Will I be able to work in the UK after completing my PhD?

As an Italian student, you may be eligible to work in the UK after completing your PhD through the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme. This allows you to stay in the UK for an additional 12 months to gain work experience and find employment related to your field of study. You may also be eligible for other visa options, such as the Tier 2 (General) visa, which allows you to work in the UK for up to 5 years.