UK vs Rest of Europe: Which is the Best Destination for a PhD in Photonics?

In summary: If you want to stay in academia, then you will need to have a UK degree. If you want to work in industry, then a degree from anywhere in Europe will do.
thomahawk
Hi,

There have been very few discussions on this topic in the internet.
Is it better to get a PhD degree from the UK or from other European countries such as Belgium , Spain ,Germany, Netherlands,Sweden etc ?

I have shortlisted for my PhD, University of Strathclyde and Heriot Watt in UK ,CNRS research lab in France ,ICFO Barcelona , Ghent(INTEC) Belgium, and Chalmers University in Sweden, in the field of Photonics.

I hear that UK PhD degrees are more valued compared to other countries. On the contrary there are many good research labs in Europe.

I would welcome unbiased opinions on this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not a EU citizen, getting funding will be tough.

If you are a EU citizen but not from the UK/haven't lived there for at least 3 years, getting a publically funded phd position in the UK is pretty much impossible unless you're absolutely excellent.

Spain is in a dire economic situation and funding for phd's is on very thin ice.

Germany, NL, and Scandinavian countries are good places for phd's, or so I've heard, but the application process and funding bureaucracy are far from unified/similar.

Signed,
EU citizen.

I'm currently doing my PhD in engineering in London. My understanding is that it depends much more on how good the university (and even more the faculty and the lab) that you're doing your PhD is. If we trust the rankings, the best universities in Europe are in the UK (oxford, cambridge, imperial). This doesn't mean however that there are not some very good universities in other European countries, e.g. ETH in Zurich or TU Delft in the Netherlands. This means that you should really go to the best possible university and (maybe more importantly) professor in your field, since you will get better training that way. Just because Cambridge ranks at the top it doesn't mean that some guy in e.g. Malta (to choose a small country) can't be considered worldwide to be the leading expert in some field. That said, the prestige of the university that gave you your doctoral title does count considerably if you want to be an academic.

To sum up, no, as far as I know the country where you did your PhD doesn't matter. How good the university is considered, however, does matter. Apart from that, keep in mind that PhD bursaries in the UK are not really high compared to other European countries, and that at the end of the day, the people that want to hire you will look at the work you did (your papers) before making up their mind.

Hi,

I think employers are biased towards UK PhDs being the most prestigious. I think it will benefit talking directly to a researcher at Strathclyde or Heriot Watt to be honest. The question you are asking is something that is to be answered on a case by case basis. The exact research you are proposing will determine what University is best to go to, as some research topics are just so specific that only a handful of universities are "adequate".

I think it depends on what you plan to do after your PhD.

I understand the importance of choosing the right institution for pursuing a PhD. While both the UK and other European countries have reputable universities and research labs, there are some factors that may influence your decision.

Firstly, the reputation of the university and research lab in your specific field of study should be a major consideration. It is important to choose an institution that has a strong track record of producing high-quality research and has a good standing in the academic community. This will not only enhance the value of your PhD degree but also provide you with access to top-notch resources and experts in your field.

Secondly, the funding and support available for PhD students should also be taken into account. In the UK, PhD students are often funded through research grants or scholarships, whereas in other European countries, PhD positions may be more competitive and limited. Additionally, the cost of living and tuition fees may also vary between countries, so it is important to consider your financial situation as well.

Another factor to consider is the language of instruction and communication. If you are not a native English speaker, pursuing a PhD in the UK may be more challenging as most universities and research labs conduct their programs in English. However, this could also be an opportunity to improve your language skills and gain a competitive edge in the job market.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal preferences and research interests. I would recommend thoroughly researching each institution, talking to current and former PhD students, and considering all the factors mentioned above before making a decision. Best of luck in your PhD journey!

1. What are the main differences between pursuing a PhD in the UK and in the rest of Europe?

The main differences between pursuing a PhD in the UK and in the rest of Europe can vary depending on the specific country and university. However, some general differences include the length of the program (typically 3-4 years in the UK and 3-5 years in the rest of Europe), funding opportunities (often more available in the UK), and language requirements (English is the primary language in the UK, while other European countries may require proficiency in the local language).

2. How do the application processes differ for a PhD in the UK vs the rest of Europe?

The application process for a PhD in the UK and the rest of Europe is similar in that you will need to submit a research proposal, academic transcripts, and letters of recommendation. However, in the UK, you may also need to take an aptitude test, such as the GRE, while in other European countries, there may be an entrance exam or interview process. It is important to carefully research the application requirements for each university you are interested in.

3. Are there any notable differences in the cost of a PhD in the UK vs the rest of Europe?

The cost of a PhD can vary greatly depending on the country and university. In the UK, PhD programs are typically funded, meaning that tuition fees are waived and students receive a stipend for living expenses. In other European countries, students may need to pay tuition fees and cover their own living expenses. However, there are also scholarship opportunities available in both the UK and the rest of Europe to help offset the costs of a PhD program.

4. How do the research opportunities differ between the UK and the rest of Europe for a PhD?

The research opportunities available for a PhD in the UK and the rest of Europe can vary greatly depending on the specific university and program. However, the UK is home to some of the world's top universities and has a strong reputation for research, particularly in the fields of science and technology. Other European countries also have excellent research opportunities and may have a stronger focus on certain disciplines, such as history or art.

5. What are the potential career opportunities after completing a PhD in the UK vs the rest of Europe?

Completing a PhD in the UK or the rest of Europe can open up a variety of career opportunities. In the UK, there may be more opportunities for academic positions at top universities, as well as opportunities in industry and government research. In other European countries, there may be a stronger emphasis on academic positions and opportunities within the European Union. Ultimately, the career opportunities available will depend on your specific field of study and the connections and experiences you gain during your PhD program.