PhD in Particle Physics: UK vs USA Programs

In summary: You can do a PhD in 4 years at Oxford if you have an MS. You can also do a PhD in 4 years at most US universities if you have an undergraduate degree. The length of time to complete a PhD after an undergraduate degree, in most cases, is the same. Neither is more "in depth" as you asked. Just had this conversation with a professor last week and in general the non-US universities require a masters before starting a PhD whereas in the U.S you can start after undergraduate completion. This is true for most cases, but you mentioned that not all of them in the UK are like that. So if you want specifics, why not ask the university?
Silviu
Hello! I want to do a PhD in Particle Physics and I was wondering what is the difference between UK (and Europe in general) and USA doctorate programs. I see that at Oxford for example you can do a DPhil in 4 years while in USA you need at least 6 and I was wondering why is that. Is it more in depth in USA? Where should I focus on applying? The field I want to pursue is theoretical particle physics. I studied at an American university, but I am from Europe. My main issue is that I don't want to spend 6 -7 years on phD, if I can finish it in 4, as Oxford is as good as Caltech or Stanford in most of the rankings, so I want to understand the differences between the programs better. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also finish before 4 years.

The time is the allocated time for your stipend, after that no more money...

US takes longer because it has no MS requirement to start. In the UK you need an MS before applying for a PhD program. So its not really shorter requirement. The US just advertises that particular amount of time because that's how long it should take for someone that is coming from an undergraduate. UK advertises their time of someone who already has an MS.

Silviu said:
Hello! I want to do a PhD in Particle Physics and I was wondering what is the difference between UK (and Europe in general) and USA doctorate programs. I see that at Oxford for example you can do a DPhil in 4 years while in USA you need at least 6 and I was wondering why is that. Is it more in depth in USA?

Please read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-us-graduate-school-system/

Zz.

DS2C said:
US takes longer because it has no MS requirement to start. In the UK you need an MS before applying for a PhD program. So its not really shorter requirement. The US just advertises that particular amount of time because that's how long it should take for someone that is coming from an undergraduate. UK advertises their time of someone who already has an MS.
This is not true. Most of them are like that., but for example the DPhil at Oxford (and several other places) don't require a master. You do 4 years, the first one being research + courses, and the other 3 just research. So this doesn't really answer my question of why you need 2 more years in USA...

MathematicalPhysicist said:
You can also finish before 4 years.

The time is the allocated time for your stipend, after that no more money...
I am not sure I understand what are you talking about. Where can you do less than 4, in USA?

The OVERALL length of time to complete a PhD after an undergraduate degree, in most cases, is the same. Neither is more "in depth" as you asked. Just had this conversation with a professor last week and in general the non-US universities require a masters before starting a PhD whereas in the U.S you can start after undergraduate completion. This is true for most cases, but you mentioned that not all of them in the UK are like that. So if you want specifics, why not ask the university? That link doesn't work for me either but it is a great write up on the matter.

DS2C said:
The OVERALL length of time to complete a PhD after an undergraduate degree, in most cases, is the same. Neither is more "in depth" as you asked. Just had this conversation with a professor last week and in general the non-US universities require a masters before starting a PhD whereas in the U.S you can start after undergraduate completion. This is true for most cases, but you mentioned that not all of them in the UK are like that. So if you want specifics, why not ask the university? That link doesn't work for me either but it is a great write up on the matter.
I read about the program on their webpage, but it is similar with the ones in USA. First year classes, then research and you need to pick a mentor and all that. There is no place where they tell you what you do every year of research. My assumption was that the research in USA is more intense, as you need at least 6 years (I heard from my professors of people going up to 8-9 years as their experiments were not successful), but I have never heard of someone at Oxford to do more than 4 years of DPhil. So my question was mostly for people who did their phD in physics (any kind of physics) in USA or UK (preferably having knowledge of both) and can give me some insight that I can't find online (basically why you need at least 2 more years in USA).

Silviu said:
Sorry, but the link is not working.
It works for me right now.

In the US, a typical path is that students spend most of approximately the first two years with coursework and teaching introductory laboratories, as a teaching assistant. During that period they "hook up" with a research group and choose a dissertation advisor, and take a comprehensive exam that qualifies them for PhD candidacy. Then they become a research assistant and spend the remaining time working on their dissertation project, taking some more coursework (in my case it was one course per year), studying their research field, and helping their advisor or group with other tasks.

Last edited:
Usually what students would do if they wanted to study theoretical particle physics in the UK at a place like Oxford or Cambridge would be to start by doing a masters (part III at Cambridge for example) as their fourth year of undergrad and then go straight to doing a PhD. They don’t need to take courses because they already took them in their masters. Undergrad in the UK and Europe in general is also more specialized, since unlike in the US, you only take classes in your field of study.

If you were in the US, you may have taken grad classes during undergrad, but even so, theorists will generally spend at least the first year taking classes.

In the context of theoretical physics (it may be true for other fields as well), PhDs in Europe (or the UK at least) tend to be more structured than they are in the US. Some professors I’ve met from Europe said they liked the US system better since it gives students more time to develop independence. So while it may take the students longer to complete their PhD in the US, they will usually be much farther along in their research abilities than they would be if they had only spent four years.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that different PhD programs are necessarily equivalent; they are not. The "rules" when it comes to what you need to do in order to get a PhD varies between countries and in many cases (especially in the UK) also between universities.
Here in the the UK a PhD can currently be 3, 3.5 or 4 years. If you do it over four years this may or or may not include a one year MRes; and you may of may not need a MSc to apply.

One important thing to remember is that whereas a short (3 year) PhD might be an advantage if you plan to work in industry (you finish faster and they generally won't understand exactly what you did anyway) it can be an disadvantage if you want to continue in academia since you are less likely to author/co-author good papers if you do a short PhD,. simply because you won't have enough time to get good results.

I did my PhD in Sweden and at the time this required a 4.5 year MSc degree to apply and the PhD itself was 4+1 year (5 years in total but you spent 20% of your time as a TA). And yes, someone coming out of that system will be "better" (and certainly more employable when looking for a post-doc) than someone who has done a British 3 year BSc+3 year PhD.
In fact, the fact the British students often struggle to find good post-doc positions abroad is a well known problem (and presumably one reason why it is now changing to a 4+4 year CDT based system )

What is the difference between a PhD in Particle Physics program in the UK and USA?

The main difference between the two programs is the structure and length of the program. In the UK, a PhD program typically takes 3-4 years to complete, while in the USA it can take up to 5-6 years. Additionally, in the UK, students are expected to have a strong background in their chosen field and begin research immediately, while in the USA, students may have more coursework and teaching requirements before beginning research.

How do the research opportunities compare between UK and USA PhD programs in Particle Physics?

Both the UK and USA offer excellent research opportunities in Particle Physics. However, the USA tends to have more funding and resources available for research, as well as a larger number of research institutions and collaborations. On the other hand, the UK may offer more focused and specialized research opportunities.

What are the academic requirements for admission to a PhD program in Particle Physics in the UK and USA?

In both the UK and USA, applicants are expected to have a strong academic background in Physics, particularly in Particle Physics. This includes a bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field, as well as strong grades and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE.

How do the costs of a PhD program in Particle Physics differ between the UK and USA?

The cost of a PhD program in Particle Physics can vary greatly between the UK and USA. In the UK, PhD programs are generally funded, meaning students do not have to pay tuition and may receive a stipend for living expenses. In the USA, programs may be funded through grants or assistantships, but students may also need to pay tuition and cover their own living expenses.

What are the career prospects for graduates of PhD programs in Particle Physics in the UK and USA?

Both the UK and USA offer a wide range of career opportunities for graduates of PhD programs in Particle Physics. Graduates may pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, or industry. The USA may offer more opportunities and higher salaries, but the UK may offer a more diverse and global job market.