1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs PhD now, later, or not?

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    I have been thinking a lot about this lately. I am a master student in maths. I will get my master hopefully in spring next year. After this degree I should be able to get a decent job in financial institution. As you might know, financial industry demands MS or PhD degree from their applicants. So I dont worry about getting a job after PhD.I also like doing maths very much. If I continue, I will study Variational Analysis, Stochastic Analysis, Ergodic Theory, etc. Something related to optimisation and probability.
    The following are my "options":
    1. Go on right after my master. I will try to get accepted by school in Northeast region because of their reputation in probability and applied maths field. This problem is that I have quite a bit of loan from my undergrad and this master degree. 4-5 years of PhD might cause some financial problem (I believe money should be spent at where is worth it.)
    2. Work in industry, pay for my load, and go back a few years later. But I am afriad that is too late when I lost my interest in academic.
    3. Not getting one at all. No actually cost but I might end up doing very routine work in the industry.

Other options or detailed opinions are welcome.

Leon

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

a phd gave me a lot more options, especially since i wanted to do academic research.

getting one did not get any easier as i git older. it requiures a huge outlay of time and energy. young people have an advantage. it is very hard to go back and get it later.

it was perhaps the hardest thing i ever did.

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Ditto mathwonk. For one thing, even if your motivations are primarily financial, if you ask your mentor in the financial industries (do you have one, don't you?), I am fairly confident he/she will tell you that math Ph.D.s have a much greater earning potential in that industry. More generally, if you poke around the website of the AMS, somewhere I bet you can find a document which addresses the question in the title of this thread, and gives the answer: you shouldn't postpone it.

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed...

A PhD didn't open up too many more oportunities for me since I wasn't planning on an academic career. If I was going to do it again, I'd work on a degree part-time and let my let my employer foot part of the tab it that was available.

6. Sep 28, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

If you're settled into academia and accustomed to the grind, stick with it and get the doctorate. If you get out into the business world, and get a career (and/or a family) going, you may find it tough to rearrange your life and get the advanced degree later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?