PhD physics, job seeking advice to Schoredinger's cat. thank you

In summary, Schoeredinger's cat had trouble finding a job in the US after getting a PhD in physics and worked at a few places before finding an office job. He learned some python and is applying to a big data school, but is skeptical that being a cat is frowned upon when hiring.
Schoered.'s cat
Hello, I'm Schoeredinger's cat. After escaping that box, I went looking for a job elsewhere (can you blame me?).

I have a PhD in physics from Cambridge (impressive for a cat, no?), where I deposited and studied magnetic metals and semiconductors thin films. I got a couple of postdocs that led to nothing much (distracted by fish).

I immigrated to US and sent applications to any industry I could find in my field (like Intel). The most I got were automated denials.

I applied to teach to community college, I only got some interview.

I applied to supermarkets and worked at Fry's (electronics retail) for 2 weeks pushing carts part time in the parking lot.

I got an office job.

I learned some python and applied to the big data school but wasn't accepted.

Do you have any advice how can I look for an industry (or similar) job? I can't apply yet to positions that require citizenship, but honestly I'm not sure I'd get a chance there seeing my unemployed stretches of time in my resume and recent lack of technical job practice.

Once I applied to a job in a bar, and I was told the coffee machine was difficult to learn. I said I have a PhD in physics I'm sure I can learn. They said "you'd be surprised" and didn't hire me.

I am suspicious that being a cat is frowned upon when hiring.

Physics news on Phys.org
Schoered.'s cat said:
Hello, I'm Schoeredinger's cat. After escaping that box, I went looking for a job elsewhere (can you blame me?).

I have a PhD in physics from Cambridge (impressive for a cat, no?), where I deposited and studied magnetic metals and semiconductors thin films. I got a couple of postdocs that led to nothing much (distracted by fish).

I immigrated to US and sent applications to any industry I could find in my field (like Intel). The most I got were automated denials.

I applied to teach to community college, I only got some interview.

I applied to supermarkets and worked at Fry's (electronics retail) for 2 weeks pushing carts part time in the parking lot.

I got an office job.

I learned some python and applied to the big data school but wasn't accepted.

Do you have any advice how can I look for an industry (or similar) job? I can't apply yet to positions that require citizenship, but honestly I'm not sure I'd get a chance there seeing my unemployed stretches of time in my resume and recent lack of technical job practice.

Once I applied to a job in a bar, and I was told the coffee machine was difficult to learn. I said I have a PhD in physics I'm sure I can learn. They said "you'd be surprised" and didn't hire me.

I am suspicious that being a cat is frowned upon when hiring.

Welcome to the PF.

I Googled "Schoeredinger's cat" and got zero hits. Maybe your PhD is not in Physics? :)

EDIT -- Which Fry's Electronics location? Sounds like we both are currently living in Silicon Valley.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.
thanks!

try this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Schoeredinger's cat

the man was not kind to me and I can't be bothered to spell his name right.

I worked at the location in the valley north of LA. I occasionally pass by san francisco as I have friends in nevada city and palo alto. norcal is better, a little less dry, but I am in socal for now.

So I'm gathering you need visa sponsorship right? That can be tough. Am I to understand you aren't interested in working in whatever other country(ies) you don't have any immigration issues?

What was the office job like? How did you do there? What did you learn?

Locrian said:
So I'm gathering you need visa sponsorship right? That can be tough. Am I to understand you aren't interested in working in whatever other country(ies) you don't have any immigration issues?

What was the office job like? How did you do there? What did you learn?

ah no, I have a green card and I still work in that office. I just wish I worked somewhere I liked more : ) you know, somewhere where a cat with a PhD in physics can do something useful other than push paper around.

EDIT: I write technological patents, something that anybody with a minimum of intelligence can do, as long as they are willing to hurt their brain somewhat.

My suggestion would be for you to continue to build any marketable skills you may have that you developed during your PhD and any subsequent study afterwards (you mentioned you studied Python -- are you familiar with other aspects of programming, say for simulations?). And since you said that you had applied to a big data school, try taking courses available in statistics, machine learning, etc. offered online (say, on Coursera or EdX), and try to work on actually trying to implement these methods using free data available, say on Kaggle competitions.

https://www.kaggle.com/

In this way, you can build some skills that are actually in demand, and thus become more marketable.

My only advice is that you might look for opportunities to play with data that could further your knowledge in both technical areas (SQL, SAS, etc.) and another knowledge area, such as health, banking, credit risk, etc. That's where I've found my personal sweet spot - something technical enough that it gave me an opening to break in, but that also let's me leverage those skills to do something impactful, rather than just churning data to someone, or updating some database in a routine way.

It won't be a blast to start, but I've seen a lot of people find it rewarding later.

Such jobs have a variety of names: Business Intelligence, Business Consultant, anything with "Analyst" after it (credit analyst, actuarial analyst, etc.).

1. What is a PhD in physics?

A PhD in physics is a doctoral degree that is awarded to individuals who have completed extensive research in the field of physics and have made a significant contribution to the advancement of scientific knowledge. It typically takes 4-6 years to complete and requires the completion of a dissertation.

2. What career opportunities are available for someone with a PhD in physics?

A PhD in physics can open up a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government laboratories, or private companies. Other options may include teaching at the university level, working in science policy or consulting, or pursuing a career in data science, engineering, or finance.

3. How can I improve my job prospects as a PhD in physics?

To improve your job prospects, it is important to gain practical skills and experience during your PhD program. This can include participating in internships, attending conferences and workshops, and collaborating with other researchers. Additionally, networking and building connections within your field can also help increase your chances of finding a job.

4. Can you provide some job seeking advice for Schrödinger's cat?

As a cat in a quantum state, Schrödinger's cat may face unique challenges in the job market. It is important for them to showcase their adaptability and problem-solving skills, as well as their ability to work independently and as part of a team. They should also highlight any experience they have in the fields of physics and quantum mechanics.

5. How can I balance my job search with my research while pursuing a PhD in physics?

Balancing a job search and research can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize your time and set realistic goals. Make sure to allocate time for both activities and stay organized by creating a schedule. It can also be helpful to seek advice and support from your advisor or career services office at your university.