[PhD Qualifier] Spin singlet state

In summary, the system made up of two spin 1/2 particles is initially prepared in a spin singlet state with a total spin of S_{total}=0. When no measurements are made on particle 2, there is a 50% probability that a measurement of the s_{1z} component of particle 1 will yield +\frac{\hbar}{2}, and a 50% probability that a measurement of the s_{1x} component of particle 1 will yield +\frac{\hbar}{2}. However, if a measurement of the s_{2z} component of particle 2 yields +\frac{\hbar}{2}, the subsequent measurement of the s_{1z} component of particle
confuted

Homework Statement

Consider a system made up of two spin 1/2 particles. Initially the system is prepared in a spin singlet state with total spin [tex]S_{total}=0[/tex]. We'll define the spin components of one particle as [tex](s_{1x},s_{1y},s_{1z})[/tex] and of the other as [tex](s_{2x},s_{2y},s_{2z})[/tex]

a. If no measurements are made on particle 2, what is the probability that a measurement of the:
i. [tex]s_{1z}[/tex] component of particle 1 will yield [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]?
ii. [tex]s_{1x}[/tex] component of particle 1 will yield [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]?

b. Now assume that a measurement of [tex]s_{2z}[/tex] component of particle 2 yielded [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]. What is the probability that a subsequent measurement of the:
i. [tex]s_{1z}[/tex] component of particle 1 will yield [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]?
ii. [tex]s_{1x}[/tex] component of particle 1 will yield [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

Spin singlet state: [tex]|\psi>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow\downarrow>-|\downarrow\uparrow>\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. i. The state is just random, right? p=1/2
ii. All we're doing is changing the axis we're measuring - nothing physical has set it. p=1/2

b. i. The total spin of the system is 0. Since particle 2 was spin up, particle 1 must be spin down. p=0
ii. The measurements of the x and z components of the spin don't commute, so measuring [tex]s_{1x}[/tex] destroys the information we knew about [tex]s_{2z}[/tex], and we're back to case a ii. p=1/2

Those are my answers and my reasoning - am I correct in my thinking?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you and all your answers check out for me.

1. What is a spin singlet state?

A spin singlet state is a quantum mechanical state in which two particles have opposite spin orientations, resulting in a total spin of zero. This is also known as an entangled state, as the two particles are inextricably linked and cannot be described independently.

2. How is a spin singlet state different from a spin triplet state?

A spin triplet state is a quantum mechanical state in which two particles have parallel spin orientations, resulting in a total spin of either 1 or -1. This is in contrast to a spin singlet state, where the total spin is 0.

3. What is the significance of spin singlet states in quantum mechanics?

Spin singlet states are important in quantum mechanics because they demonstrate the phenomenon of entanglement, where the states of two particles are intimately connected even when physically separated. This has implications for quantum information processing and quantum teleportation.

4. How are spin singlet states created?

Spin singlet states can be created through various methods, such as using a beam splitter to split a single photon into two entangled photons, or using superconducting materials to create entangled electron pairs.

5. What are the potential applications of spin singlet states?

Spin singlet states have potential applications in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation. They could also be used for high precision measurements and in developing new technologies for quantum information processing.