1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[PhD Qualifier] Spin singlet state

1. Jul 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a system made up of two spin 1/2 particles. Initially the system is prepared in a spin singlet state with total spin [tex]S_{total}=0[/tex]. We'll define the spin components of one particle as [tex](s_{1x},s_{1y},s_{1z})[/tex] and of the other as [tex](s_{2x},s_{2y},s_{2z})[/tex]

a. If no measurements are made on particle 2, what is the probability that a measurement of the:
    i. [tex]s_{1z}[/tex] component of particle 1 will yield [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]?
    ii. [tex]s_{1x}[/tex] component of particle 1 will yield [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]?

b. Now assume that a measurement of [tex]s_{2z}[/tex] component of particle 2 yielded [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]. What is the probability that a subsequent measurement of the:
    i. [tex]s_{1z}[/tex] component of particle 1 will yield [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]?
    ii. [tex]s_{1x}[/tex] component of particle 1 will yield [tex]+\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

Spin singlet state: [tex]|\psi>=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow\downarrow>-|\downarrow\uparrow>\right)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a. i. The state is just random, right? p=1/2
    ii. All we're doing is changing the axis we're measuring - nothing physical has set it. p=1/2

b. i. The total spin of the system is 0. Since particle 2 was spin up, particle 1 must be spin down. p=0
    ii. The measurements of the x and z components of the spin don't commute, so measuring [tex]s_{1x}[/tex] destroys the information we knew about [tex]s_{2z}[/tex], and we're back to case a ii. p=1/2

Those are my answers and my reasoning - am I correct in my thinking?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2
    I agree with you and all your answers check out for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?