1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs PhD quals coming up

1. May 21, 2005 #1
    Anyone else got these coming up?

A whole sh*tload of work needed to prepare for them. I sooo don't feel ready.
    Anyway, I have mine on Thursday and Friday.

Anyone else?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2005 #2
    I have them too. Analysis on June 1 and Topology on June 3...you?
  4. May 21, 2005 #3

them's were the days (mine was EE, not physics). i don't envy you.
  5. May 21, 2005 #4

Gold Member

I do envy you. I never finished high school, and I would kill to be in your position. Regardless, I wish you the best in your assault upon the citadels of education. In return, I ask only that you might occassionaly help me out when I need advice.
  6. May 22, 2005 #5
    Quals are this coming thursday and friday.
    1) Classical Mechanics
    2) Quantum Mech.
    3) Electromagnetism
    4) Math Phys/Statistical mech/general.

Thanks for the best wishes on my assault in the citadel of education Danger!
  7. May 22, 2005 #6

Gold Member

I know that you'll do me proud, lad. :approve:
  8. May 22, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

just a modest suggestion. if you feel not fully ready, i suggest targeting one, possibly two, important topics you feel unprepared on, and focusing on that. choose something that always has a question devoted to it. i suspect there is not enough time left to do more than that. a good PhD question cannot be answered unless you understand it well. so it is probably a waste of time to peruse many topics shallowly.
  9. May 25, 2005 #8
    I just took the written part of mine today (for EE).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?